National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson BoulevardArlington, Virginia 22230
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL POTENTIAL OFFERORSFROM:National Science FoundationDivision of Contracts and Complex Agreements4201 Wilson Boulevard, Room 475Arlington, VA 22230SUBJECT: Information provided in response to questions submitted by industry1. Is the requirement for all pilots to hold Instrument Ratings an absolute, or does the contracting processrecognize the principle of equivalent safety in this regard?
Yes the pilots must hold an instrument helicopter rating. They do not have to maintain instrument currency requirements, but must hold the rating.
2. I'd like to get all financial information available on the past 2 Antarctic Helicopter Support Contracts(10 years). This would include the contract amounts as well as the actual amount paid. I'd also like to getall detailed information on the contracts as well.
Information on the first Antarctic Helicopter Support Contract is currently at the National Archives and Records Administration. The contract dollar value for the current Helicopter Support Contract is apprx.$16M, as published in the previous Q & A letter.
3. We want to be able to fly some of the crew to New Zealand for some R&R. Is that something that islooked at favorably or not, since replacement crews would need to be brought in? How do I arrange for flights to/from New Zealand, and any idea of the approximate cost?
Contractor may avail themselves of space available transportation to Christchurch NZ. However,replacement crews must be on site before current crews depart to insure that the NSF programs are not impacted. In addition, the contractor may be charged for the cost of lodging and subsistence for theoverlapping crews.
4. How do we schedule an AMC inspection?
5. Is the certification required before we submit a bid?
No, but certification is necessary before a contract can be awarded. Obtaining and maintaining AMC certification is the responsibility of the contractor. The process is lengthy and should be started immediately.
6. Is the AMC audit the same as a DOD audit?
AMC Certification is similar in complexity as a DOD audit, and includes a financial review, as well as areview of the prospective contractors aviation program.