Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more ➡
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Add note
Save to My Library
Sync to mobile
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
×
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Lewis Topographical Directory 1837

Lewis Topographical Directory 1837

Ratings: (0)|Views: 220|Likes:
Lewis Topigraphical Directory for St. John's Parish 1837.
Lewis Topigraphical Directory for St. John's Parish 1837.

More info:

Categories:Types, Research, History
Published by: St. John's Parish Heritage Group. on Aug 03, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, DOC, TXT or read online from Scribd
See More
See less

08/03/2012

pdf

text

original

 
This is an extract from The Rindoon Journal Volume 1.
St. John’s and area in 1837 - Extracts fromLewis’s Topographical Dictionary.
 by Liam Byrne (© St. John's Parish Heritage Group).
T
he book 
"A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 
" was compiled by Samuel Lewis and published in London in 1837. It was part of a series covering Ireland, England, Scotland andWales. In the preface to the Irish Edition Lewis bemoaned the paucity of county histories andlocal descriptions of cities, towns and districts and the increased expense that gathering thisinformation entailed. A sum of £30,000 was needed to get the work published - a vast sum inthose days. The resulting compilation however, has not been surpassed to this day.
T
he aim of the book was to offer a condensed, faithful and impartial description of every placein Ireland and local contributors were involved to ensure that the resulting information wasaccurate. Proof sheets were sent to "persons of intelligence" in the various localities andsuggestions for corrections and additions made.
T
he following extracts are for the original St. John’s (i.e. Rindoon) and Lecarrow and also for Rahara, Killenvoy, Knockcroghery & Portrun. If the amount of text on each place is anyindicator of importance, then St. John’s, Rahara & Killenvoy were very important places in1837? It is more likely however that the amount of text on any area is as a result of thecontributors, most of whom were local landlords and religious. The text is reproduced herewith spellings as published by Lewis. Where additional comments are included for your information these are inserted as endnotes. The endnotes did not form part of the original publication.
I
llustrations used are from "Antiquities of Ireland" by Francis Grose (1795) and "The IrishPenny Journal" Sept. 1840. Maps are taken from Ordnance Survey Sheets for the area, with permission.
JOHN’S (ST.) or IVERNOON,
1
a parish, in the barony of Athlone, county of Roscommonand province of Connaught, 8 miles (N by W) from Athlone on the road to Roscommon;containing 3135 inhabitants. It was anciently called Teach-eon-Rinduin and Randown andappears to have derived the name of St. John's from the foundation of a house for KnightsHospitallers, in the reign of John. This place was fortified in 1226, and made one of thestrongest places in Connaught. A town appears to have arisen in the neighbourhood of thecastle, which was pillaged by Phelim O'Conor in 1237. The castle occupied a rocky eminencerising abruptly from Lough Ree and consisted of a large court, with an offset comprising achapel or banqueting hall and a keep of great strength. Some of the ruins still exist (Figures 1and 2)
2
and there are remains also of a church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity early in the 13thcentury and of a circular tower and a strong wall, 500 or 600 yards long, with an archedgateway near the middle and strong square towers at from 60 to 90 yards distance from eachother; outside this wall are the rude remains of other ecclesiastical buildings, with a cemetery,which is still much used. The parish comprises 4773 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe
 
act, and is not well cultivated. Potters' clay and pipe clay are found here
3
and limestone isabundant. The principal seats are St. John's, the residence of Oliver Goldsmith Hodson, Esq.;Carrenure, of R. W. Bond, Esq. and John's Port, the property of J. Hodson, Esq. It is a vicarage,in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Killenvoy, the rectory is impropriate inthe Incorporated Society. The tithes amount to £112. 14. 6., of which £60 is payable to theimpropriators and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of St. John's, Killenvoy, Kilmain and Raharrow, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school of 100 children, to which Col. Lloyd subscribes £2annually and a private school in which about 60 children are educated. On the shore of the bayof Kilmore are the conspicuous remains
 
of an ancient mansion and on Nuns' Island are theremains of a nunnery. Many gold coins have been found in the parish (Figure 3).
LECKARROW,
a village, partly in the parish of St. John’s and partly in that of Killinvoy, barony of Athlone, county of Roscommon and province of Connaught, 8 miles (N W) fromAthlone on the road to Roscommon, to both of which places it has a penny post; containing 80inhabitants. Fairs are held in March, June, Sept. and Dec.; and petty sessions every alternateweek. In the village are a flour 
4
and an oatmeal mill;
5
and in the vicinity is a dispensary.
6
 
RAHARROW or RAHARA,
a parish in the barony of Athlone, county of Roscommon and province of Connaught, 9 miles (N W) from Athlone on the roads from that place to Athleagueand Roscommon; containing 1630 inhabitants. It comprises 4741 statute acres of tolerably goodland, chiefly in tillage, and there is & small portion of bog; the state of agriculture isimproving. Limestone is found in the parish, and within its limits is Lough Funcheon, morecommonly called Ballagh Lough from a hamlet of that name at its northern extremity:
7
(Figure4) it is the largest sheet of water in the barony, extending two miles in length and containingsome islands, besides a large promontory, which is occasionally insulated; the lough is boundedon the north east by hills, but its borders are elsewhere flat and marshy, and it has on the wholea bleak appearance. The seats are Loughfield, the residence of P. Sproules, Esq., and Rahara, of Alex Sproules, Esq. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight at the Four Roads. It is a vicaragein the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Killinvoy: the rectory is impropriate inthe Incorporated Society. The tithes amount to £124. 5. 9. of which £66. 5. 9. is payable to thevicar and the remainder to the impropriators and there is a Glebe of 10 acres, let for £10. 1. 3. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of St. John's and contains achapel. About 70 children are educated in a private school.
KILLENVOY,
a parish in the barony of Athlone, county of Roscommon and province of Connaught, 10 miles (N N W) from Athlone, on the road from that place to Roscommon;containing 2250 inhabitants. It comprises 5139 statute acres, and contain a small quantity of  bog; there is an abundance of excellent limestone. The principal seats are Scregg, the residenceof J. E. Kelly, Esq.; Kellybrook, of D. Kelly, Esq.; Churchboro, of E. Kelly, Esq., and MountPlunket, of G. Plunket, Esq., a handsome building, situated on Lough Ree. The living is avicarage in the diocese of Elphin, episcopally united to the vicarages of Kilmean, Porterin,Ivernoon or St. John's, and Raharrow, and is the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory isimpropriate in the Incorporated Society: the tithes amount to £130 which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar; and the tithes of the benefice amount to £227. 2. 9.The church - which is a neat edifice, was built by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1822 ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £133 for itsrepair. There is a Glebe-house, with a Glebe of 11 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part or the union or district of St. John's, and contains a chapel at Culleen.
8
About 50 childrenare educated in a public school which is aided by an annual donation from the vicar and 140 in

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->