P. 1
Amisfield Walled Garden, Pineapple House - East Lothian

Amisfield Walled Garden, Pineapple House - East Lothian

Ratings: (0)|Views: 1,466 |Likes:
Published by David Connolly
This report represents the results of the investigation of the ruins
of a Glasshouse within the 18th century Walled Garden at Amisfield
in East Lothian.
This was a joint project as part of the Peter Potter Lost Landscapes
project with support from the Amisfield Preservation Trust. It
included the involvement of over 180 people ranging through local
school classes, and groups from Tynepark Centre, North Berwick
Day Centre, Dad’s Work and local volunteers as well as Students
from Edinburgh University.
The excavation uncovered the central Glasshouse on the north wall
(south facing) and revealed the stonework from the 1783 building
containing both a tile hypocaust system and later cast iron pipe
heating system with raised beds and walkways related to the
original use as a Pineapple House (Vinery Pinery) built by the
Wemyss Estate.
The Walled Garden also has four corner pavilions, of which the
north east Pavilion was subjected to building record as part of a
training day.
Geophysical work carried out by the Edinburgh Archaeological
Field The project was made possible by Peter Potter Gallery,
Haddinton as part of their Lost Landscapes Programme.
This report represents the results of the investigation of the ruins
of a Glasshouse within the 18th century Walled Garden at Amisfield
in East Lothian.
This was a joint project as part of the Peter Potter Lost Landscapes
project with support from the Amisfield Preservation Trust. It
included the involvement of over 180 people ranging through local
school classes, and groups from Tynepark Centre, North Berwick
Day Centre, Dad’s Work and local volunteers as well as Students
from Edinburgh University.
The excavation uncovered the central Glasshouse on the north wall
(south facing) and revealed the stonework from the 1783 building
containing both a tile hypocaust system and later cast iron pipe
heating system with raised beds and walkways related to the
original use as a Pineapple House (Vinery Pinery) built by the
Wemyss Estate.
The Walled Garden also has four corner pavilions, of which the
north east Pavilion was subjected to building record as part of a
training day.
Geophysical work carried out by the Edinburgh Archaeological
Field The project was made possible by Peter Potter Gallery,
Haddinton as part of their Lost Landscapes Programme.

More info:

Published by: David Connolly on Aug 24, 2012
Copyright:Traditional Copyright: All rights reserved

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

08/25/2012

pdf

text

original

 
 
Vcpc~ Vdppc~ Idrp Ilk`rblvcr V~dh~laacLaerjeci` V~crc~zlpedk P~srp
Bckp~li Hilrrmdsrc Ekzcrpehlpedk) Laerjeci` Xliic`Hl~`ck) Ml``ekhpdk) Clrp Idpmelk
Rcvpcanc~ >6<< * Lv~ei >6<>
 
 
Laerjeci` Xliic` Hl~`ck) Ml``ekhpdk Clrp Idpmelk
 
@lpl Rp~sbps~c ^cvd~p
Klpedkli H~e` ^cjc~ckbc -KH^%7
KP 33363 :8825
V~cvl~c` nu7
@lze` Bdkkdiiu) Rpsl~p @ekkekh)@dsh ^dbor!Alb\scck lk` AlhhecRp~sboacec~)
Eiisrp~lpedk nu7
@lze` Bdkkdiiu
@lpc dj Jeci`xd~o7
Rcvpcanc~ >6<< lk` Lv~ei >6<>
@lpc dj ^cvd~p7
Gskc >6<>
 
Bdzc~ ealhc7 zecx pd c}blzlpedk j~da kd~pmclrp hlpcNcidx7 zecx dj kd~pmclrp bd~kc~ vlzeiedk) Laerjeci` Xliic` Hl~`ck+
 
 

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->