may be harmful if ingested in contaminated meatsor water.
may be found in water, Lucey, J. 2006, pg 22 explains“Groundwater is a valuable resource in Ireland, used in food and industrialprocessing as well as being an important source of drinking water.”Consequently this is why the importance of being able to distinguish whatmicroorganism present is of importance.
are gram positive bacteria and are one way inwhich individuals may become infected with food poisoning.
produces an enterotoxin protein of 239 amino acids which target thegastrointestinal (GI) tract. They are super antigens and are highlypathogenic with only 1µg/kg required for infection to occur. The symptomsof food poisoning of this kind are generally onset and appear between 1-6hours after ingestion of contaminated food. If one becomes infected themay suffer with symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea, and intense abdominalpains. Fever is commonly not noted and the symptoms last approximately24 hours. There is no known treatment for an infection of this sort and it isusually self limiting in that more fluids should be taken in than lost. Foodsoften associated with
food poisoning are cream basedproducts such as desserts, custards, and potato and egg salads.Furthermore, food that is left at 28°C for 2-4 hours with
will haveenough cells grown that may induce food poisoning. The main cause isdue to poor or inadequate food handling, storage at incorrecttemperatures.Even though
infections of food poisoning may be self limiting they can become extremely infectious in hospital and patient caresettings as antibiotic resistance has developed such as that of methicillin-resistant
(MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant
are gram positive bacteria and are commoncauses of bloodstream and other infections in hospitalised patients. (Rice2006) According to Jensen et al., 2002; Boucher and Corey, 2008,