Welcome to Scribd. Sign in or start your free trial to enjoy unlimited e-books, audiobooks & documents.Find out more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
2011 Food Insecurity Report

2011 Food Insecurity Report

Ratings:
(0)
|Views: 6|Likes:
Published by Chicagoist

More info:

Published by: Chicagoist on Sep 11, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

09/11/2012

pdf

text

original

 
Household Food Security in theUnited States in 2011
United StatesDepartment ofAgriculture
EconomicResearchServiceEconomicResearchReportNumber 141September 2012
Alisha Coleman-JensenMark NordMargaret AndrewsSteven Carlson
 
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programsand activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and, whereapplicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexualorientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of anindividual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibitedbases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative meansfor communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) shouldcontact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272(voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
    w
    w
   w
  .
   e
   r
  s
 .
  u
 s
 d
a
.
go
 v
 
Recommended citation format for this publication:
Coleman-Jensen, Alisha, Mark Nord, Margaret Andrews, and StevenCarlson.
 Household Food Security in the United States in 2011.
 ERR-141, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic ResearchService, September 2012.
Visit Our Website To Learn More!
http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/ food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us.aspx
 
United StatesDepartmentof Agriculture
www.ers.usda.gov
A Report from the Economic Research Service
Abstract
An estimated 85.1 percent o American households were ood secure throughout theentire year in 2011, meaning that they had access at all times to enough ood or an active,healthy lie or all household members. The remaining households (14.9 percent) wereood insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.7 percent with very low oodsecurity—meaning that the ood intake o one or more household members was reducedand their eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year because the householdlacked money and other resources or ood. The prevalence rate o very low ood securityincreased rom 5.4 percent in 2010, returning to the level observed in 2008 and 2009. Thechange in ood insecurity overall (rom 14.5 percent in 2010) was not statistically signi-cant. The typical ood-secure household spent 24 percent more on ood than the typicalood-insecure household o the same size and household composition. Fity-seven percento all ood-insecure households participated in one or more o the three largest Federalood and nutrition assistance programs during the month prior to the 2011 survey.
Keywords:
Food security, ood insecurity, ood spending, ood pantry, soup kitchen,emergency kitchen, material well-being, SNAP, Food Stamp Program, National SchoolLunch Program, WIC
About the Authors
Alisha Coleman-Jensen and Mark Nord are sociologists and Margaret Andrews is an econo-mist in the Food Assistance Branch, Food Economics Division, Economic Research Service(ERS), U.S. Department o Agriculture. Steven Carlson is Associate Administrator orPolicy Support, Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department o Agriculture.
Alisha Coleman-Jensen,
 
acjensen@ers.usda.gov
Mark Nord,
 
marknord@ers.usda.gov
Margaret Andrews,
 
mandrews@ers.usda.gov
 
and Steven Carlson
Household Food Security in theUnited States in 2011
EconomicResearchReportNumber 141September 2012

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->