Chapter Five Reviewing the Basics
1. What are five main categories of form factors used for motherboards?
ATX, MicroATX,FlexATX, BTX, and NLX.
2. How many pins does the Intel Socket B have? What is another name for this socket?
3. How many pins does the AMD socket AM2 have?
4. Which is a better performing Intel chipset, the X58 or the P45?
X58 is a High-performance chipset and P45 is a Mainstream desktop chipset.
5. Which part of the chipset connects directly to the processor, the North Bridge or theSouth Bridge?
6. What are the names of the two technologies used to install multiple video cards in thesame system?
SLI and Crossfire
7. What are the two different voltages that a PCI slot can provide?
5V and 3.3V
8. How does the throughput of PCI Express Version 1.1 compare to PCIe Version 1? Howdoes PCIe Version 2 compare to Version 1?
1.1 and 1 have the same specs. Version 2 is twicethe speeds to version 1
9. What is the maximum wattage that a PCIe Version 2.0 expansion card can draw?
10. What new type of power connector was introduced with PCIe Version 1.0? How much power does this connector provide?
6 Pin and 75 Watts
11. What new type of power connector was introduced with PCIe Version 2.0? How much power does this connector prodive?
8 Pin and 150 Watts
12. If you are installing an expansion card into a case that does not have enough clearanceabove the motherboard for the card, what device can you use to solve the problem?
PCI Riser cards. The riser card allows you easier access to connect to slim cases.
13. What is the purpose of an AGP slot?
It is designed for specific video cards.
14. Which is faster, a PCI Express x16 bus or the latest AGP bus?
PCI Express x16 is faster.
15. What is the purpose of a CNR slot?
It is used for small riser cards such as modem, audio,or network riser cards.