REVIEWING THE BASICS CHAPTER 8
1. What are the two common sizes for hard drives?
3.5 and 2.5”
2. Why is a solid state drive referred to as solid state?
because it has no moving parts
3. If a magnetic drive has four platters, how many heads does it have?
4. What is the name of the Vista technology that supports a hybrid drive?
5. When the OS addresses the sectors on a hard drive as one long list of sequential sectors,what is this technology called?
LBA (Logical block addressing)
6. What are the main two components of the Master Boot Record on a hard drive?
Master boot program and partition table
7. What is the smallest unit of space on a hard drive that can be used to store a file?
8. What two file systems can Windows use to format a hard drive?
Which systemsupports the most storage capacity?
9. Which ATA standard for hard drives first introduced S.M.A.R.T.?
10. Which ATA standard is the latest standard that made improvements to PATA?
ATA/ATAPI-7, ultra ATA/133
11. A CD drive that uses a PATA connection must follow what standard?
12. How many pins does a PATA cable have?
What is the maximum recommendedlength of a PATA cable?
13. What transfer mode can transmit data from a device to memory without involvingthe CPU?
14. What term describes the technology that allows you to exchange a hard drive withoutpowering down the system?