Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Save to My Library
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Crossrides history flyer

Crossrides history flyer

Ratings: (0)|Views: 21 |Likes:
Published by Big Car

More info:

Categories:Types, Maps
Published by: Big Car on Sep 15, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

09/15/2012

pdf

text

original

 
 Tomlinson Hall, circa 1886-1958, sat west of City Market. Stephen Tomlinson left money in his will for the construction of a building forthe use of citizens and city authorities. The
rst
oor housed businessesand some activity from the adjoining City Market. The upper
oor helda theater. The hall served as a shelter for victims of the 1913
ood. Thearch remaining on the outdoor plaza was discovered and reinstalledduring a 1970s renovation of City Market. Underground tunnels remainfrom the original structure.Businessman John Herron donated money to the Art Association of Indianapolis in 1895 to establish an art museum and art school.Originally located on Talbott Street, the school eventually constructeda building at 16th and Pennsylvania in 1929. In 1966, the Art Associa-tion separated the art school from the art museum. The museumbecame the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the art school becameassociated with Indiana University in 1967. This location formerlyresidential, became the art school’s home, Eskenazi Hall, in 2005. Turn of the last century apartment buildings re
ect the growthof Indianapolis related to industrialization. Single men andwomen moved to the city to
ll jobs in factories and o
ces andapartments became a popular alternative to boarding houses. Atthat time, an apartment contained two or three rooms and nokitchen. The Emelie, built in 1902, had commercial space on the
rst
oor and apartments on the second and third
oors.George Kessler described Riverside Park as the large country park- aretreat from the city with restful, peaceful drives and a variety of activities that appealed to a large segment of the population.Founded in 1898 as an amusement park, it continued to grow withthe “Coney Island craze.” Attractions included rides, a roller skatingrink, a dance han live animals, and a replica of a working
our mill. The park owners adopted a “Whites Only” policy in the 1920s. In theearly 1960s, integrationists picketed the park in protest of thediscriminatory practice. The deteriorated park closed in 1970.
CITY MARKETVONNEGUT LIBRARYHERRON SCHOOL OF ARTRIVERSIDE PARKCROSSRIDES HISTORICAL INFO SHEET

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->