SITE SURVEY SUMMARY SHEETFORDERP-FUDS SITE NO. J09CA075200ARBUCKLE PRISONER
WAR CAMPSITE NAME:
Arbuckle Prisoner of War Camp, California. Also known as ArbuckleCamp, Arbuckle and Emergency Rubber Project Housing Facility, Arbuckle, Colusa County,California.
The site is located in the town of Arbuckle, Colusa County, California, 45miles northwest of Sacramento (Figures
Prior to DOD occupation the site was part of the Emergency RubberProject of the Department of Agriculture. The Project attempted unsuccessfully to extractrubber from a shrub named guayule.The Project closed 15 September 1944. Bymemorandum of understanding dated 14 March 1945, 8.50 acres of the Project's laborhousing facilities were transferred to the Army. The labor housing was converted to aGerman prisoner of war camp by construction of a prison fence and two guard towers.Theprisoners worked in the almond groves of neighboring farms. What improvements the Armymade, other than towers, and fence, is unknown. The prisoners were discharged after theend of the war and the site was reported excess on 29 April 1946. The site was retransferredto the Department of Agriculture, Emergency Rubber Project on 01 August 1946. The
acre rubber project camp, including the 8.50 acre former POW camp, was sold to the highestbidder, Mr. Floyd Alexander, Sr., in 1948. There were 24 sheetrocked buildings, 90 feet by
feet, with six rooms each, a 200-foot
building, anadministration building, and a mess hall.The site is currently owned by several private property owners and contains three residences,an abandoned building, a business establishment, concrete slab foundation remains, andvacant land. The three residences are renovated DOD barracks buildings. The businessestablishment is a renovated DOD mess hall building. The abandoned building is the formerDOD laundry. All other DOD-built structures have been removed, except for their- concreteslab foundations.The Arbuckle Camp sewage processing tanks were used by private property owners after themilitary closed the site until 1981. In 1981, the sewage processing tanks were cleaned out,filled with dirt, and covered over. An apartment complex was constructed in 1981 over theformer sewage processing tanks.