10/4/04 #370DM430HB-1Replaces 11/1/95 FPM-418
Performance Appraisal Handbook
Timeline for the Performance Appraisal System5-Level Performance System
Or as otherwise approved by the DOI Office of Human Resources
– The appraisal periodcoincides with the fiscal year, October 1 toSeptember 30.
Or 30 days after the end of the Performance Appraisal Period
Complete the performance appraisal forprior fiscal year that ended on September30.
Or 60 calendars from beginning of appraisal cycle
Maximum time to finalize performancestandards
– Timeframe in which performancestandards are finalized and approved. Themaximum time a rating official has to put anemployee under elements and standards, i.e.,establish an Employee Performance AppraisalPlan (EPAP).
Minimum Appraisal Period
– The length oftime, 90 calendar days, that the employee mustbe performing under an approved EPAP in agiven position in order to be eligible for aninterim or annual rating.
Or approximately midway through Performance Appraisal period
– Discussion with theemployee at least once during the appraisalperiod to review the employee’s progress andcommunicate performance as compared to theestablished standards; to make anyrecommended revisions to criticalelements/performance standards; and toconsider/identify any developmental needs orperformance improvement required.
– Required when anemployee has worked under standards in theposition for 90 days and if one or more of thefollowing occurs: Employee changes position(i.e., reassignment, promotion, change to lowergrade, transfer), completes a temporaryassignment of 120 days or more (i.e., detail,temporary promotion, etc.), the rating officialleaves a supervisory position, or to document alevel of competence determination for within-grade increase purposes when the employee’smost recent rating of record is not consistentwith the level of competence determination.
October 1 toSeptember 30October 1 toNovember 30As RequiredMarch throughMay90 CalendarDaysOctober 1 to 31