E-MAIL ADDRESSES:ADS: email@example.comNEWS: firstname.lastname@example.orgSUBSCRIPTIONS: email@example.com
by Syd Iwan
Ravellette Publications is happy to receive letters concerning comments on any newsstory or personal feeling on any subject. We do reserve the right to edit any offensive ma-terial and also to edit to fill the allotted space. We also reserve the right to reject any or allletters.Our deadline for insertion in the Thursday issue is the preceding Monday at 5:00 p.m.Letters intended for more than one Ravellette Publications newspaper should be mailedor hand delivered to each individual newspaper office. All letters
bear the originalsignature, address and telephone number of the author.
POLITICAL LETTERS TO THE EDITOR:
No political letters are to run the two weeksprior to an election.The “Letters” column is intended to offer readers the opportunity to express their opin-ions. It is not meant to replace advertising as a means of reaching people.This publication’s goal is to protect the first amendment guarantee of free speech. Your comments are welcomed and encouraged.
The Pioneer Review • P.O. Box 788 • Philip, SD 57567-0788(605) 859-2516 • FAX: (605) 859-2410
Ravellette Publications, Inc.
Opinion / Community
Thursday, September 27, 2012 • The Pioneer Review •
Philip, SD U.S.P.S. 433-780
: For Haakon, Jackson,and Jones counties, Creighton, Wall, Quinn,Marcus, Howes, Plainview, and Hayes ad-dresses: $36.00 per year (+ Tax); Elsewhere:$42.00 per year.
South Dakota residents are required to pay sales tax.
Periodicals postage paid at Philip, SD.Postmaster, send change of address noticeto:
PO Box 788, Philip, SD57567; or FAX to: 605/859-2410.
Website Subscription Rate:
website: www.pioneer-review.comEstablished in 1906.
The Pioneer Review, the official newspaper of Haakon County, the towns of Philip and Mid-land, and Haakon School District 27-1 is pub-lished weekly by Ravellette Publications, Inc.
office is located at 221 E. OakStreet in Philip, South Dakota.
Phone: (605) 859-2516;FAX: (605) 859-2410;e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCopyrighted 1981:
Ravellette Publications,Inc. All rights reserved. Nothing may bereprinted, photocopied, or in any way repro-duced from this publication, in whole or in part,without the written consent of the publisher.
Display & Classified
Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. (MT)
Fridays at 5:00 p.m. (MT)
Gen. Mgr. of Operations/Ad Design:
Thursday: Clear in the morning, then partly cloudywith a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. High of81F. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chanceof rain 20%. Thursday Night:Partly cloudy with achance of a thunderstorm and rain. Low of 50F.Winds from the SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible.Friday:Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunder-storm and rain in the morning, then clear with achance of a thunderstorm and rain. High of82F. Winds from the SE at 10 to 15 mph.Chance of rain 40%. Friday Night:Partly cloudywith a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 48F.Winds from the SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.Saturday:Partly cloudy with a chanceof a thunderstorm. High of 84F.Winds from the SSE at 10 to 15mph. Chance of rain 30%. SaturdayNight:Clear with a chance of a thun-derstorm. Low of 43F. Winds from theSouth at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.Sunday:Clear. High of 79F.Winds from the WNW at5 to 10 mph shifting tothe North in the after-noon. Sunday Night:Partlycloudy. Low of 46F. Windsfrom the NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
Get your complete &up-to-the minutelocal forecast:pioneer-review.com
I unclogged the drain on thebathroom sink earlier this week. Ithad been getting worse and worseover the last month to six weeksuntil it had become very slow toempty. Using it required a bit morepatience than I had. It was time orpast time to fix things.Accordingly, I rounded up thebig pliers-like tool I bought agesago after seeing plumber Lloydusing one like it to good effectmany times. A couple of screw-drivers were grabbed as well. ThenI cleaned out the vanity under thesink just in case I made an unmit-igated mess which was somewhatlikely going on past experience.Taking a deep breath, I adjustedthe pliers to the size of the nut onthe plastic pipe and tentativelygave it a turn. It moved easily.“Oh, good!” I said. The nut on theother side of the trap moved just aseasily. I could unscrew both of them by hand from there on.Oddly enough, the trap was com-pletely clear. The problem had tobe farther up. I probed up therewith a big screwdriver and broughtsome stuff out, but the clog seemedto be higher still. Standing up, Iconsidered how to get the drainplug out since some of those areconnected by complicated screwcontraptions that have completelydefeated me in the past. When Igave a tug, though, the plug cameright out. “That was easy,” I said inrelief. From there I could see theobstruction, and the screwdriversoon had it out. It was a nasty globof hair and unidentifiable slime. Itonly took a minute or two to re-move it and flush the pipe into thepail I had under the drain below.Mission accomplished except forreconstruction.Luckily, the plug snapped rightback in, and the trap went back onabout as easily as it had come off. Itightened things with the pliersand tested my work by runningsome water through. No leaks. Ex-cellent! A few wipes with a coupleof paper towels and the job wasdone. “That was easy,” I said tomyself. “Why didn’t I do thatweeks ago?”“Because you don’t have anyconfidence in your plumbingskills,” was my immediate reply tomyself. And that is so. It is not anarea where I shine. I can do suchthings, but natural talent, aptitudeand experience are somewhat lack-ing. As a result, I would rather putup with the inconvenience of a slowdrain than actually try to fix it.As you know, a lack of confidencecan inhibit our attempts to do var-ious things. We might kind of wantto do various jobs or activities butdon’t because we aren’t sure wecan pull it off. Dealing with electri-cal matters certainly falls into thatcategory with me. I’m not very con-fident when it comes to plumbing,but double or triple that with elec-tricity. You might make a big messif you goof up in plumbing, but youcould end up dead through a mis-take with electricity. I’m not surethat will ever change with me so Iam not hesitant to call in an actualelectrician if things look somewhatbeyond me. I plan to continue thatpractice.In other areas, though, I can ac-complish what I want to do if Iwork at it. About the first thing Ineed to do, however, is relax. If you’re all tensed up, you can’t domuch. This I learned in partthrough playing complicated musi-cal pieces in public. If you’re tootense, your music won’t be verygood or you’ll scramble the hardparts. I have to just tell myself that, yes, there is a chance I’ll goof up and embarrass myself, but,what the heck. So be it. I’m goingto give it a shot anyway and try tohave a good time in the process. A lot of practice beforehand, of course, will make public perform-ance easier.Public speaking is another in-stance of where one needs to con-sciously relax. Seeing all thoseeyes watching you could possiblymake one tense. I don’t have muchof a problem with that anymore,but it was harder to do earlier inlife when I’d had no experiencewith it.You know, when Joshua wasabout to lead the Israelites into thePromised Land, God repeatedlytold him, “Be strong and coura-geous. Be strong and courageous.”This was possible for Joshua be-cause God had promised to be withhim and help him. God promises todo the same for us if we trust him,even in everyday matters likeplumbing.Oh dear! Wife Corinne just in-formed me that another drain inthe house is having problems andcould use some work. Perhaps I’dbetter deal with that while my tri-umph over the first drain is stillfresh in my mind. As the littletrain says in the childhood storyabout climbing a steep hill, “I thinkI can. I think I can. I think I can.”
Mae our opnon nown … wrte a letter to the edtor!
Fax sgned cop to 859-2410 or e-mal wth ourphone number to: email@example.com
who is organizing the conferences.“Producers have told me that thevalue of this program was $1 mil-lion, due to the changes they madeto their estate plan and the reduc-tion of potential estate taxes.”Extension staff and industry pro-fessionals will help participants de-velop the tools they need in orderto face estate-planning challengeswith less stress.Conference dates and locations:Lemmon –Ocober 22, 23, 29 and30 at the SDSU Regional Exten-sion Center, 408 8th Street West.Philip –October 25, 26, Novem-ber 1 and 2 at the Bad River SeniorCitizen Center, 115 S. Center Av-enue.Yankton –November 6, 7, 13 and14 at JoDeans, 2809 Broadway Av-enue.Chamberlain/Oacoma –Novem-ber 8, 9, 15 and 16 at Cedar Shore,1500 Shoreline Drive, Oacoma.Redfield –December 4, 5, 18 and19 at Leo’s Good Food, 602 N.Main.Brookings –January 3, 4, 10 and11 at the Days Inn, 2500 6thStreet.There is a training cost per per-son. Registration is required sevendays prior to the first meeting date.To register, call Gessner at 605-782-3290. Return the registrationform and funds to Sioux Falls Ex-tension Center, 2001 East 8thStreet, Sioux Falls, SD 57103.Each day of the four-session pro-gram is full of tools and how-to in-formation families can use to cre-ate and implement their individu-alized plan, no matter how big orsmall the operation.Topics for the sessions covercommunication styles, businessstructures, goals, asset distribu-tion, wills and probate, retirementplanning and funding, fair versusequal distribution, tax implicationsfor the operation, life insurance,long-term care insurance, trustsand other topics as determined bythe audiences.“Many of the past participantshave utilized the information fromthe conference to reduce potentialestate taxes and ensure that theiroperation is passed down to thenext generation in a smooth, hasslefree transition,” Gessner said.All family members are encour-aged to attend the sessions, and on-and off-farm heirs are also invitedto learn about the tools and partic-ipate in the discussions.“Past participants have used thisconference to interview attorneysand insurance agents while theyare presenting the basics of usingthe many tools available to them,”Gessner said. “If you are makingplans to retire or becoming a part-ner in the operation, or if you ownfarm or ranch assets, this programis a great start for you. Our goal isto give you the tools to develop yourestate plan and the motivation toget started, combined with somegentle nudging that keeps youmoving forward with the process.”Partial funding for this programis provided by the South DakotaSoybean Research and PromotionCouncil. “SDR&PC is proud to beone of the sponsors for this year'sestate planning workshops. Withrising land values and profit mar-gins, estate planning has neverbeen more important,” said DougHanson, a SDSRPC board memberand a past participant of the con-ference. “My wife and I have at-tended these workshops in the pastand have found them very inform-ative.”For more information, call Gess-ner at the Sioux Falls Regional Ex-tension office at 605-782-3290, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Estate planning, farm transition
continued from page
... by Del Bartels
The young mother sat in the hospital bed, holding her newborn andletting the conversations around her go on. Her husband, mother, sisterand many others were there to admire the baby, but also to catch upwith each other. Quietly she cooed to the tiny baby boy as its familycircled around.The only one not present was her father. He had been gone now sev-eral months. She recalled one of her youngest birthdays, when he spunher round and round in circles on the lawn until both of them dizzilystumbled and fell on top of each other, laughing. Several years later,she recalled, her favorite things were for him to stand next to her soshe wouldn’t fall off of the carousel horse or for him to watch as sheclung for dear life to the playground merry-go-round. She rememberedone campfire with a circle of giggling Brownie Girl Scouts cheeringwhen her dad successfully roasted enough marshmallows for each of them on a maze-like snarl of a green branch.Trepidation turned to jubilation as she learned to ride a two-wheelbicycle. Eventually she improved enough to pedal circles around herdad as he walked and she rode to go check the mail. Family meals werefun because everyone would talk and laugh as they sat around thetable. Games that required everyone to play either around the kitchentable or the living room carpet were the most memorable.Then, there was the time her father and she stood across from eachother, with mom and sis filling in the circle around the family dog’sfinal resting place. Such sad times were rare, but odd times of new ex-periences filled the years. At her first school dance, her father stood bythe door talking to other parents after dropping her off. A boy askedher to dance. Shuffling her feet, every time she came around in an awk-ward circle on the dance floor, she spied her dad pretending not to bewatching. He had the weirdest expression, like sadness and pridemixed together. In the next dozen years she had done a lot of growingup. Then, her father danced with her at her wedding.Her husband would sit across from her father when one householdvisited the other. Somehow, them facing each other from opposite endsof the circle around the family table just seemed right, with the twomen in her life making the ends of the circle stronger. Instead of jeal-ousy, she felt a deep sense of sharing when sis got married and theirdad danced with her. Now, for the last few months, the empty chairand silent part of conversations made everything seem lacking, incom-plete. The circles could never be the same, but maybe sort of.Now, with the baby in her arms, she grinned and called for every-one’s attention. She and her husband had decided to name the littlebaby boy after his maternal grandfather. Nods of agreement slowlygrew into congratulations and even to a crazy cheer from her sister. Yes, it was right that some of the circles in her life would carry on.The Black Hills State University Yellow Jacket Hall of Fame in-ductees for 2012 include Pat Gup-till, Bob Thorson and Todd Hem-mingson, all of Philip, and Monica(Headlee) Dorn, a former KadokaHigh School graduate.Guptill was inducted for hisachievements in track, football andbasketball, including being a four-year letter winner in all threesports.Dorn was inducted for being an All American cross country runnerin 2000 and competing in three Na-tional Association of Intercollegiate Athletics cross country meets.Thorson and Hemmingson weremembers of the 1983 BHSU foot-ball team, coached by Carl “DukeIverson. The team was SDIC cham-pion with a 5-0-2 record and a 5-2-2 overall record. Thorson filled thekicker position and Hemmingsonplayed defensive back.Other 2012 inductees were SteveHarshman for football andwrestling, Eldon Marshall for boysbasketball coaching, Dana andLaDawn Dykhouse for philan-thropy to BHSU, and the 2000men’s cross country team.
Locals inducted into Black Hills StateUniversity’s Yellow Jacket Hall of Fame
Individual inductees Monica (Headlee) Dorn, left, and PatGuptill, right. with Black Hills State University President Dr.Kay Schallenkamp.
Hall of fame members of the 1983 BHSU Yellow Jacket foot-ball team, Todd Hemmingson, left, and Bob Thorson, bothof Philip.The annual first and second grade boys’ and girls’ basketball camp was held September 13, 18, 20 and 27, from 3:30 to4:45 p.m. for 32 kids. Head coach was Jenny Terkildsen, with assistant coaches Amber Rush, Terry Holman, Jennifer Jones,Kim Kanable, Tanya Peterson, Tristen Rush and Nelson Holman. Helpers included Abby Martin, Dilyn Terkildsen, Josie Rush
Basketball camps for youth
The annual third and fourth grade boys’ and girls’ basketball camp was held September 12, 17, 19 and 24, from 3:30 to5:00 p.m. The 21 kids were lead by head coaches Terry Holman and Amber Rush, and assistant coaches Tristen Rush andNelson Holman. Back row, from left: Taylor Hanson, Alyssa Walker, Kelcey Butler, Mallory Vetter and Ethan Ferguson. Middleand Mallory Vetter.Back row, from left,are: Wyatt Schriever,Colby Fosheim,Danessa Heltzel,Kade Fitzgerald,Jason Davis, GracieFitzgerald, KarlieCoyle, Levi Williams,Lane Kuchenbeckerand Layton Terkildsen.Third row: Luke Fergu-son, Colden Kramer,Sarah Huston,McKenna McIlravy,Tara Schofield, KiaraPerkins and KashSlovek. Second row:Tukker Boe, Brit Morri-son, Jess Jones, RykerPeterson, WakelyBurns, Dymond Lurz,Rainee Synder andTaylor Ross. Front: Re-hgan Larson, HannahThorson, Macy Martin,Adam Kanable, An-thony Jindra, CohenReckling and JesseFillingim.row: TristenRush, KeltonQuinn, AddieJohnson,Kiarra Moses,Eathan Mar-tin, Jenna En-gbarth, JaidaHaynes,Ethan Burnettand NelsonHolman.Front: BrinHeltzel, DilynTerkildsen,Copper Lurz,AllisonWilliams,Bobbi Kam-merer, McCoyPeterson andSpencer Ross.Not pictured:Brett Daly andSawyer Smith.