Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Roscommon Newspapers Volume 1

Roscommon Newspapers Volume 1

Ratings: (0)|Views: 26|Likes:
Volume 1 of St. John's Parish Heritage Group Newspaper Project. Extracts for the St. John's area from The Roscommon Messenger and The Roscommon Journal 1849 - 1889.
Volume 1 of St. John's Parish Heritage Group Newspaper Project. Extracts for the St. John's area from The Roscommon Messenger and The Roscommon Journal 1849 - 1889.

More info:

Categories:Types, Research, History
Published by: St. John's Parish Heritage Group. on Oct 04, 2012
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

05/13/2014

pdf

text

original

 
 
St John’s Parish
Heritage Group -Newspaper Project
Extracts from The Roscommon Messenger and TheRoscommon Journal 1849
 –
1889.
 
St. John’s Parish Heritage Group
.
 
Occasional Publication No.
5
 
In 2005 St. John’s Parish Heritage Group commissioned Rural
Social Scheme participant Mr. Hugh Tumelty to undertake localnewspaper research on its behalf in Roscommon CountyLibrary. This booklet was produced from his report.
 
 Original research by Hugh Tumelty 2005
 – 
2012Booklet design and text editing by Liam Byrne 2012.
© St. John’s Parish Heritage Group 2012.
 
Please note:
e & oe. No responsibility accepted for accuracy of transcribed reports. Please check original before use.
 
 
Local extracts from The Roscommon Messenger and The Roscommon Journal 1849
 – 
1889.
 
The Roscommon Journal newspaper was founded in 1828 and lasted until 1927. The RoscommonWeekly Messenger was founded in 1848 by Alexander O'Conor Eccles of Ballingard House andlasted until 1935. Both were incorporated into The Roscommon Champion which was founded in1927 and closed in 2010._________________________________________________________________________________An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger dated February 7
th
1849. It was stated thatthe following lands were to be set: Galey: 23 acres lately held by John Geraghty and 17 acres held byPat Martin. Curnaseer: 20 acres held by a unknown tenant. The above lands were situated inKnockcroghery.A notice appeared in the Roscommon Messenger dated July 28
th
1849. It stated that Roscommonunion wanted to appoint medical practitioners to vaccination districts including Athleague,Knockcroghery, Kilbride, Kilteevan, Tulsk etc. The notice was printed in several issues of the paper.A notice appeared in the Roscommon Messenger of September 29
th
1849. It stated that the arrival of Lord Crofton at his residence in Moate Park in Co. Roscommon was announced by numerousbonfires blazing on the surrounding hills, the previous night.A notice appeared in the Roscommon Messenger of 7
th
February 1850. It stated the Guardian of Roscommon Union would receive proposals from persons willing to purchase broken stones in thefollowing Electoral Divisions: Kilbegnet, Killukin, Elphin, Knockcroghery etc. The same noticeappears in several issues of the newspaper.An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger dated April 20
th
1850. It stated that thehighly bred short horn bull Sir Henry the property of Lord Crofton, would serve a limited number of cows at Mote Park.An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger of May 6
th
1855. It stated that theKnockcroghery Fair would be held on the 26
th
of May 1855. The advertisement appeared in severalissues of the Roscommon Messenger.An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger dated October 27
th
1860. It stated that thehouse and lands of Springlawn containing 43 acres and two miles from Roscommon town adjoiningMote Demesne was to be let in Oct/Nov 1860.An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger dated November 17
th
1860. It stated thatan auction of farm implements, stock and furniture belonged to Mr. John Fallon, Galey,Knockcroghery would be sold on Thursday the 22
nd
of November 1860 commencing at noon. Theitems sold included twenty highly bred ewes, four cows, two bulls, two calves and two ploughsincluding numerous other items. The auction was held to generate money for the payment of debtincurred by Mr. Fallon.An advertisement appeared in the Roscommon Messenger of December 15
th
1860. It stated thatPortrun Lodge, situated on the banks of Lough Ree within four and a half miles of Roscommon andten miles of Athlone was to be set. The lodge has commanding views of four counties. There wasone acre of land to be set. The advertisement was repeated in several issues of the RoscommonMessenger.

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->