BY ERIC TUCKER
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — TheD.C.transitsystem must allow a pro-Israel ad that equates Muslim radicalsithsavages, a federaludge ruled Friday.A spokesman for the Metrosystem said it would com-plywith the judge’sdeci-sionandthattheadvertise-ments would go up over the weekend.“The result is absolutely correct,” said Daviderushalmi, a lawyer repre-senting the AmericanFreedom DefenseInitiative, the organizationbehind the advertisements.“There simply was no way under the First mendment jurisprudencethat we have today that thisadshould not have gone uphen contracted.” Theone-page rulingfrom U.S. District JudgeRosemary Collyer follows a similar courtorder in New ork that cleared the way for anti-jihad ads to go up inthat city’ssubway systemlast month. The ads read:“Inany war between thecivilized man and the sav-age, support the civilizedman. Suort Israel. Defeat Jihad.”Debate over the adsflared two weeks agoagainst the backdrop of vio-lent reaction in the MiddleEast to the online video,“Innocence of Muslims,” which denigrated theprophet Muhammad.Metrohad delayed approv-ing the ads because of safe-ty concerns and the uproar over that video. The transit system’slawyers called the ad’s mes-sage “fighting words in thecontext of current events”and said the FBI was inves-tigating a promise of vio-lence if the ads ran in Washington. Still, the vio-lence that roiled the regionhas largely abated sincethen, and therehave beenfew reports of mischievousor hostile reactions to theads since they appeared inNew York. The New York ads went up in 10 stations acrossManhattan on Sept. 24.Since then, an Egyptian-born U.S. columnist wasarrested for spray-paintingthe ad, though two reli-gious groups say that,starting Monday, they’llhang ads urging tolerancealongside the anti-jihadones. The ads alsoappeared recently on city buses in San Francisco, where some have beendefaced or have had wordsremoved. The ads won’t be partic-ularly visible in the Metrosystem. One ad will appear in each of four Metro sta-tions for one month, saidMetro spokesman DanStessel.
JACKSON — The city of Jacksonreleased more than 2.8 billion gallons of minimally treated sewage — enough tofillfour NFL stadiums — into the PearlRiver system over the last four years, theEnvironmental Protection Agency says. Analysis of reports filed with the stateDepartment of Environmental Quality indicate that Jackson bypassed treat-ment at its Savannah Street Wastewater reatment Plant about one day in eight,according to The Clarion-Ledger.Such bypasses often occurred after a half-inch of rain or less, the newspaper reported. The sewer system is old and failing.Safeguards no longer function properly because of years of neglect.However, DEQ officials say healthrisks appear minimal. It has found bacte-ria levels too high for swimming or wad-ing in the Pearl River only four timessince 2009. Nine other water contact advisories — eight of them in the last two years — were issued for creeks.Before diverting excess sewage, thecity dilutes it with treated water, addschlorine to kill bacteria, then dechlori-nates the mixture so chemicals don’t gointo the river.Sewage dumps can kill off fish or cause a spread of bacteria, but DEQspokesman Robbie Wilbur said themetro area had only two mass fish killssince 2009. Nor has it found any increasein human digestive diseases that might be caused by raw sewage, he said.Sometime this month, The JacksonCity Council is expected to approve anagreement to spend hundreds of mil-lions of dollars on sewer systemupgrades and to pay the EPA a fine for violating the Clean Water Act.Negotiations have been going on for two years. The consent decree would bethe first of its kind in Mississippi, but similar agreements have become com-mon around the country.
EPA to Jackson: Stop dumping sewage in Pearl River
P O L I C Y D U E F O R R E N E WA L ?
Make a note and check with us before you
renew your present Auto or Homeownersinsurance. It will pay you to compare ourbroad coverages and competitive rates.Best of all, you might save some money.
Friends you candepend on
444c Hwy 12w, Starkville
NOTICE FOR EARLY PUBLIC REVIEW OF APROPOSAL TO SUPPORT ACTIVITY IN THE100-YEAR FLOODPLAIN & WETLAND
To: All Interested Agencies, Groups, and IndividualsThis is to give notice that the Lowndes County Board of Su-pervisors is proposing to expend federal funds in a 100-yearFloodplain. The subject funds are from a Community Develop-ment Block Grant administered by the Mississippi DevelopmentAuthority.This notice is required by Section 2(a)(4) of Executive Order11988 for Floodplain Management and by Section 2(b) of Ex-ecutive Order 11990 for the Protection of Wetlands, and isimplemented by HUD Regulations found at 24 CFR 55.20(b)for the HUD action that is within and/or affects a ﬂoodplain orwetland.TheLowndes County Board of Supervisors is proposing to un-dertake the following activities in the area: Extension of ap-proximately 5,300 lf of water line to an unserved area of theEast Lowndes Water Association. The Mississippi EmergencyManagement Agency has stated that a portion of this projectmay possibly be in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).Thepurpose of this notice is to give an early opportunity forinterested agencies, persons or groups to comment on the pro-posed action. The Lowndes County Board will consider anyfeasible alternatives or adjustments to the anticipated projectwhich might minimize any potential adverse effects upon theﬂoodplain as a result of the project.This notice with a request for comment was mailed to the Re-gional Ofﬁce of the Federal Emergency Management Agencyand the State Ofﬁce of Environmental Protection.Additional information may be obtained by contacting: PatsyPatterson, Project Coordinator with the Golden Triangle Plan-ning and Development District at (662) 324-7860.Written comments must be received by the Lowndes CountyBoard of Supervisors, P. O. Box 1364, Columbus, MS 39703 onorbefore October 23, 2012
MONDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2012
Visit The Dispatch MSU Sports Blog for breakingBulldog news:
For less than $1 per month, print subscribers can get unlimitedaccess to story comments, extra photos, newspaper archivesand much more with an online subscription. Nonsubscribers canpurchase online access for less than $8 per month.Goto
Judge: D.C. subway must allow anti-jihad ads
BY LOLITA C. BALDOR
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Thecontinued exchange of artillery fire between Syria and Turkey raises addition-al concerns that the conflict may escalate and spread toneighboring countries,Defense Secretary LeonPanetta said Saturday.Panetta said the U.S. isusing its diplomatic chan-nels to relay worries about the fighting in the hopesthat it will not broaden.His comments came onthe heels of warnings from Turkey’s prime minister that his country is not far from war with Syria. Turkish and Syria tradedartillery fire Saturday asrebels clashed withPresident Bashar Assad’sforces near the border,heightening the fears that the crisis could erupt into a regional conflict. TurkishPrime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday cautioned Damascus not totest Turkey’s “limits anddetermination” and said Ankara was not bluffing insaying it won’t tolerate suchacts.In other comments dur-ing a press conference withPeru’s Defense Minister,Pedro Cateriano, Panetta warned that the internation-al community is ready toimpose more sanctionsagainst Iran if the country does not begin to addressconcerns about its nuclear program. The economic sanctionsare having a damagingeffect on Iran, as inflationand unemployment rise,and the value of the curren-cy drops, increasing prices.Iran, said Panetta, has toengage seriously with theinternational community toresolve issues with itsnuclear program and if it doesn’t, “make no mistake,the international communi-ty will continue to imposeadditional sanctions.”Panetta’s commentscame after meetingsSaturday with PeruvianPresident Ollanta Humala,and the country’s defenseministry — dubbed thePentagonito — to continuemeetings with Cateriano. After his meeting withHumala, Panetta said theU.S. is increasing efforts tobuild partnerships in theregion and said America will do whatever it can toprovide assistance to Peruto meet the challenges oterrorism, illicit traffickingand humanitarian needs.Later, he and Cateriano,during a joint press confer-ence, said that they arenegotiating an update in thedefense cooperation agree-ment between their twocountries.Noting that the last agreement was sealed in1952, Panetta said the U.S.is committed to improvingits ability to conduct joint military exercises, trainingand education exchanges with Peru.Cateriano said updatingthe agreement will help hiscountry modernize its mili-tary.Panetta also said that theU.S. wants to work withPeru to confront the drugtrafficking, calling it “one othe most serious threats weface in the hemisphere.” Hesaid he listened to the con-cerns of the Peru officials,and will determine if thereis any additional help theU.S. can provide.Panetta is leaving Peruand will fly to Uruguay Saturday afternoon toattend a regional meeting odefense ministers from the Americas.
Panetta: Syria clashwith Turkey may escalate
BY MARCIA DUNN
P Aerospace Writer
CAPE CANAVERAL — A com-mercial cargo ship rocketed intoorbit Sunday in pursuit of theInternational Space Station, the first of a dozen supply runs under a mega-contract with NASA.It was the second launch of a Dragon capsule to the orbiting labby the California-based SpaceX company. The first was last spring. This time was no test flight, how-ever, and the spacecraft carried1,000 pounds of key science experi-ments and other precious gear onthis truly operational mission.here was also a personal touch:chocolate-vanilla swirl ice creamtucked in a freezer for the three sta-tion residents. The company’s unmannedFalcon rocket roared into the night sky right on time, putting SpaceX on track to reach the space stationednesday. The complex was soar-ing southwest of Tasmania whenthe Falcon took flight.Officials declared the launch a success, despite a problem with oneof the nine first-stage engines. Therocket put Dragon in its intendedorbit, said the billionaire founder and chief executive officer of SpaceX, Elon Musk.“It’s driving its way to station, sothat’s just awesome,” noted SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell.In more good news, a piece of space junk was no longer threaten-ing the station, and NASA couldfocus entirely on the delivery mis-sion.NASA is counting on privatebusiness to restock the space sta-tion, now that the shuttles haveretired to museums. The spaceagency has a $1.6 billion contract with SpaceX for 12 resupply mis-sions.Especially exciting for NASA isthe fact that the Dragon will returntwice as much cargo as it took up,including a stockpile of astronauts’blood and urine samples. The sam-ples — nearly 500 of them — havebeen stashed in freezers since Atlantis made the last shuttle flight in July 2011. The Dragon will spend close tothree weeks at the space stationbefore being released and parachut-ing into the Pacific at the end of October. By then, the space stationshould be back up to a full crew of six.None of the Russian, Europeanor Japanese cargo ships can bringanything back; they’re destroyedduring re-entry. The Russian Soyuzcrew capsules have limited roomfor anything besides people.Space Exploration TechnologiesCorp., or SpaceX — owned by PayPal co-founder Musk — is work-ing to convert its unmannedDragon capsules into vessels that could carry astronauts to the spacestation in three years. Other U.S.companies also are vying to carry crews. Americans must rideRussian rockets to orbit in themeantime, for a steep price.Musk, who monitored thelaunch from SpaceX MissionControl in Hawthorne, Calif.,called the capsules Dragon after the magical Puff to get back at crit-ics who, a decade ago, consideredhis effort a fantasy. The nameFalcon comes from the MillenniumFalcon starship of “Star Wars”fame. An estimated 2,400 guests jammed the launching center tosee the Falcon, with its Dragon,come to life for SpaceX’s first offi-cial, operational supply mission. Across the country at SpaceX headquarters, about 1,000 employ-ees watched via TV and webcast.
SpaceX Dragon capsule launched to space station
AP Photo/Florida Today, Malcolm Denemark
A 71-second exposure as seen from Port Canaveral, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket suc-cessfully lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, bringing supplies destined for the ISS into orbit.