AStROS: 2012 SEASON:
OPPONENtS: 2012 SEASON:
2012 ASTROS HITTING CAPSULES
27 IF Jose Aluve .290 (167x576), 7 hR, 37 RBI
vs. LHP: .359 (56x156) vs. RHP: .264 (111x420) Career: .286-9-49 (228x797)Home: .284 (81x285) Road: .296 (86x291) Long Streak: 7, .345, 10x29, 7/27-8/3
• the 2012 rst-time All-Star posted a .340 OBP, tallying 40 walks in 147
games; posted only 5 walks in 57 games in 2011...led the club with 45extra-base hits.
• at 22 years old, was the 2nd-youngest member of the NL All-Star squad
(Bryce Harper was the youngest)...is also the 2nd-youngest All-Star inAstros history, behind Cesar Cedeno, who was 21 when named the NL’sstarting CF in 1972...went 0x1 in the ASG.
• nished his season 5th in the Majors in batting vs. LHP (min. 155 AB)...
ranked 7th in the NL with 33 steals...his 51 multi-hit games ranked T-9thin the NL...ranked 5th in the NL in ewest percentage o swings that miss(10.6%)...ranked 4th in batting average against NL Central opponentswith a .321 (87x271) mark (min. 200 PA).
• played the entire season with the Astros, making his 1st career Opening
Day start, and led the club with 147 games played, including 142 startsat second base.
• among NL second basemen, ranked 1st in stolen bases, 2nd in hits and
3rd in batting average.
• is just the 4th Astros second baseman to steal 30 bases in franchise
history, also Craig Biggio (5x), Bill Doran (2x) and Joe Morgan (3x)...isalso just the 8th Astros player to steal 30 bases and hit 30 doubles in1 season, also Bagwell (2x), Biggio (5x), Cabell (3x), Cedeno (5x), Cruz(3x), Thon, Wynn.
• according to Elias, became the 1st Astro with 36 hits thru the club’s 1st
25 games since Craig Biggio also did so in 2004.
• stole home and homered on 6/10 at CWS, becoming the 1st Astros
player to accomplish this in the same game since Je Bagwell on6/22/93 at LAD.
• named the Astros’ recipient of the MLB Players Alumni Association’s
annual Heart and Hustle Award...one player rom each team is chosenon the basis o “passion, desire, and work ethic demonstrated both onand o the eld.”
• originally a product of the Astros Venezuelan Academy, signed with
the club as an undrated ree agent on 9/27/06.
39 OF Brandon Barnes .204 (20x98), 1 hR, 7 RBI
vs. LHP: .234 (11x47) vs. RHP: .176 (9x51) Career: .204-1-7 (20x98)Home: .204 (11x54) Road: .205 (9x44) Long Streak: 2 (4x), last, .429, 3x7, 9/20-21
• started 24 games for the Astros, including 23 starts in CF and 1 in RF...
hit .250 (10x40) over his last 17 games with the club.
• was an NRI at Astros Spring Training before beginning his season with
Double A Corpus Christi...promoted to Triple A OKC on 5/27...had hiscontract purchased and was added to the Major League roster or the1st time in his career on 8/7.
• made his MLB debut in a start in CF on 8/7 vs. WSH (0x3)...recorded his
1st MLB hit on 8/8 vs. WSH, a single o LHP Gio Gonzalez...hit his 1stMLB homer as a pinch-hitter on 8/13 at CHC o RHP Je Samardzija.
• was the 2nd Astro to hit their 1st MLB homer in the pinch this season,
also M. Gonzalez (5/14 at PHI)...prior to this season, the last Astro to hittheir rst MLB homer in the pinch was IF Mark Saccomanno on 9/8/08.
• combined to hit .321 (128x399) with 39 doubles, 12 home runs, 69 RBI,
21 steals and a .381 OBP in 106 games with OKC and Corpus Christi.
• hit .323 (76x235) in 62 games with 19 doubles, 5 home runs, 38 RBI and
14 stolen bases in 62 games at the Triple A level.
• named Corpus Christi’s Oensive Player of the Month in April (.353,
4HR, 21RBI) and OKC’s Deensive Player o the Month in July.
• earned consecutive Texas League Player of the Week Awards for his
weeks beginning on 4/16 and 4/23.
• originally a 6th round pick by Houston in the 2005 Draft...has been with
the organization or 8 ull seasons.
19 OF Brian Bogusevic .203 (72x355), 7 hR, 28 RBI
vs. LHP: .156 (10x64) vs. RHP: .213 (62x291) Career: .227-11-46 (124x547)Home: .166 (28x169) Road: .237 (44x86) Long Streak: 6, .389, 7x18, 5/7-13
• appeared in 146 games, which ranked 2nd on the club (Altuve-147),
making 73 starts in RF and 10 in CF...appeared in 36 games as a pinch-hitter, posting a .242 (8x33) average with a .306 OBP, 1 HR and 5 RBI.
• went 15-for-19 in stolen base attempts...was successful in 12 of his last
13 attempts since May 5.
• was 1 of 3 players to spend his entire season on the club’s active roster
• was on the back end of back-to-back home runs with Carlos Lee after
starting in RF on Opening Day on 4/6 vs. COL.
• made his 1st ML pitching app. on 6/7 vs. STL (2ER/1IP) in a 14-2 loss...
the last Astros position player to pitch in a ML game was Kevin Cashon 5/29/10 at CIN (1ER/1IP).
• was at the plate in 4 of the club’s 1st 5 last at-bat victories...collected
the 2nd walk-o hit o his career on 8/10 vs. MIL, an RBI single in thebottom o the 9th.
• originally the 24th player taken overall in the 2005 Draft by Houston...
spent his 1st 4 proessional seasons as a pitcher beore converting tothe outeld in the middle o the 2008 season...outrighted o the Astros40-man roster on 11/3.
15 C Jason Casro .257 (66x257), 6 hR, 29 RBI
vs. LHP: .148 (8x54) vs. RHP: .286 (58x203) Career: .235-8-37 (106x452)Home: .276 (34x123) Road: .239 (32x134) Long Streak: 6 (2x), last, .455, 10x22, 5/31-6/12
ater beginning the season with a .209 (18x86) average thru his 1st 26games, rebounded to post a .281 (48x171) average with a .362 on-basepercentage, 6 home runs and 21 RBI in his last 61 games (since 5/21)...collected 4 o his 6 homers in his last 7 games o the season.
• led the club’s catching corps with a 4.34 catcher’s ERA (312ER/646.2IP)
in his 79 games (73 starts) behind the dish...caught 12 o 69 attemptingbase stealers on the season.
ater sitting out the entire 2011 season with a right knee injury, spent5 o the season’s 6 months on the active roster...was on the DL rom7/15-8/13 with right knee eusion.
• returned to game action in Spring Training and led the club in hitting
during the Spring with a .364 mark.
• made his 1st career Opening Day start on 4/6 vs. COL, going 0x2 with
• hit over .300 in 2 months this season: June (.302, .367 OBP) and August
(.306, .359 OBP).
• had his 1st multi-homer game on 9/28 at MIL, the 1st multi-homer
game by an Astros catcher since J.R. Towles hit 2 on 9/30/09 at PHI.
• combined to hit .556 (10x18) with 3 doubles, 1 home run and 2 RBI in
his 7 injury rehab games with Triple A OKC (4g) and Double A CC (3g).
• selected by Houston in the 1st round of the 2008 draft (10th overall
22 C Carlos Corporan .269 (21x78), 4 hR, 13 RBI
vs. LHP: .222 (4x18) vs. RHP: .283 (17x60) Career: .219-4-24 (51x233)Home: .233 (7x30) Road: .292 (14x48) Long Streak: 4 (2x), last, .400, 6x15, 7/26-8/2
• hit .269 on the season, including a .283 (17x60) mark while batting
let-handed...hit all 4 o his home runs rom the let side o the plate.
• despite playing in exactly half as many MLB games in 2012 as in 2011,
set career marks in home runs and RBI.
• caught 24 games and made 22 starts behind the dish for Houston this
season...caught 5-o-19 attempting base stealers.
• began the season as an NRI at the Astros Major League Spring Training
camp beore being assigned to Triple A OKC or the start o the minorleague season...had his contract purchased on 7/15...optioned back on 8/12 and then recalled on 9/4 or the remainder o the season.
• hit his 1st MLB homer on 7/20 at ARI o of RHP Jonathan Albaladejo.• hit .286 overall in 68 games at OKC with 15 doubles, 6 HR and 31 RBI.• caught 44% of attempting basestealers with OKC, recording 18 catcher
caught stealings, while allowing 35 stolen bases...led the Pacic CoastLeague in that category (min. 50 attempts)...named OKCs DeensivePlayer o the Month in August.
• originally signed with Houston as a minor league free agent on
30 IF Ma Dominguez .284 (31x109), 5 hR, 16 RBI
vs. LHP: .250 (6x24) vs. RHP: .294 (25x85) Career: .273-5-18 (42x154)Home: .207 (12x58) Road: .373 (19x51) Long Streak: 6, .375, 9x24, 9/13-20
• played in a career-high 31 Major League games across two stints with
the Astros this season...hit .287 (29x101) with 5 homers and 16 RBI inhis 2nd stint, a 27-game run to nish the season...on the season, posteda .373 (19x51) average with 10 RBI in 14 road games, which includeda 12-game road hitting streak rom 9/3-10/2.
• played in 31 games at third base, including 27 starts...committed just
1 error in 78 total chances or a .987 elding percentage...marked the2nd-highest elding percentage among MLB third baseman (min. 75 TCs).
• began his season at Triple A New Orleans in the Marlins organiza
-tion...named the club’s No. 4 prospect by
and No. 2prospect by MLB.com at the beginning o the season...acquired byHouston along with minor league LHP Rob Rasmussen rom Miami inexchange or 1B Carlos Lee on 7/4...reported to the Astros MLB clubbeore an option to Triple A OKC on 7/8...recalled on 8/30 and spentthe remainder o the season with Houston.
• from the 2nd inning on 8/30 vs. SF thru the 4th inning on 8/31 vs. CIN,
hit or the cycle (triple, double, groundout, single, lineout, homer)over the course o 6 at-bats...this run included his 1st MLB home runon 8/31, a solo shot o o RHP Mike Leake.
• hit 4 home runs over a span of 14 days from 8/31-9/13, including three
3-run homers...collected 14 RBI in September, which ranked T-4thamong NL rookies.
• combined to hit .257 (115x447) with 24 doubles, 9 HR and 69 RBI in 123
games with OKC (45g) and New Orleans (78g)...ater his acquisition byHouston, hit .298 (48x161) with 23 RBI in 45 games with OKC.