LOO / DET 4 ONTARIO, CA
Lockheed aircraft made its first
flight in 1913. Since that time, manyfamous Lockheed aircraft and flights
have been made by numerous customers.
The aircraft company had an austere
beginning at Burbank, California. In he
early 1930's, the twin e ngirted Lockheed
Electra became a very successful airlineaircraft. Liter, the Lodestar and Hudsonwere introduced to international airlines
and to British Air Forces respedively.
Customer service has always been ahalimark of Lockheed Aircraft Corpora-
tion and it started with the test and
production of fts first aircraft, Jr grew
from just a handful of men providing
flight line maintenance into LockheedAircraft Service Company (LAS), It's
the oldest division in the corporation and
the oldest aircraft maintenance, over-haul and modification company in the
United States. The LAS designation was
established in 193g from the customer
service branch of Lockheed in Burbank.
It immediately began one of its largest
jobs; reassembly and main-
tenance of the Lockheed Hudson bom-
bers shipped to the British Isles. LAShad nearly 6,000 people employed in
Great Britain during World War Ii andsupported more than 20,000 aircraft. In
1952, LAS began its operational OntarioInternational Airport and in 1956 moved
its mpany headquarters there.
In January 1964, LAS became the
fourth major aircraft modification and
depot maintenance contractor in the BIG
SAFARI Program with the establishment
of Detachment 4, LOO (Liaison Office
Ontario). AFLC assigned Captain Leo
Talbot to act as a one-man operation
in Ontario as an additional duty to his
regular job as the Liaison Officer at Ryan
in San Diego. He continued on a tem-
porary duty basis until his transfer to the
Pentagon in June 1965.
The first project
initiated in February 1964, invoked themodification of six C-123B aircraft for