Originally part of Allotment 257, the quarter-acre section on which the New Lynn CongregationalChurch building is sited was transferred to the Congregational Union of New Zealand on 10 January1910.
The first Congregational Church in New Zealand had been set up in 1851.
The Mt EdenCongregational Church had organised three earlier and similar buildings in sub-districts of their area,at Swanson (1902), Waikomiti and Mt Roskill.
“When the population of ew Lynn was only about 200 the members of Beresford Street Congregational Church in Auckland decided to erect a building for publicworship in the district. This was the result of a growth of the work of the Congrega-tional Mission Station which had been operating at Waikomiti from before the turnof the century.”
Building the church
Two days before the formal registration of transfer of the land in New Lynn, the foundation stonesfor the church were laid on Saturday 8 January 1910.
“The building is to be constructed as a church hall in connection with the Mount Eden Congregational Church. It will be a brick structure, lined inside with wood,and having seating accommodation for 120 people … Two foundation stones werelaid, one by the Hon G Fowlds, Minister for Education, and the other by Mr John Bollard, member for the district.”
The architect or designer of the building is unknown, but it is possible that the bricks used originatedfrom the New Zealand Brick, Tile & Pottery Company works operated in New Lynn by AlbertCrum. The works began in New Lynn in 1905,
and by 1907 had what was described as “
the most up-to-date plant of its kind in the southern hemisphere.”
Considering the Crum family’s knownclose connections with the church, Albert Crum may well have been instrumental in assisting with itsconstruction.
“The family of Albert Crum, an early settler and brickmaker, worshipped at theCongregational Church. His son, the late Mr Jack Crum, when asked did his family go to worship there, replied, “o, we didn’t actually ‘go’ to the ew Lynn Congre- gational Church Sunday School, we were ‘sent’!”
The church was apparently ready for opening by 13 February 1910.
“The Home Mission Committee of the Congregational Union of ew Zealand pur-chased a site about three months since within five minutes walk of the railway sta-tion, ew Lynn. A neat and substantial brick building has been erected on it and wasopened for Divine worship and work in February last, and is now filled with an in-telligent and respectable congregation.”