Period Areas of Significance Check and justify below
1600-1699 agriculture economics health/medicine performing arts1700-1799 archeology education industry philosophy1800-1899
architecture engineering invention
1900-1999 art entertainment/ landscape architecture religion2000- commerce recreation law sciencecommunications ethnic heritage literature social history
community planning exploration/ maritime history transportationconservation settlement military other:
Bagley-Soulé & Associates
1959 (original station); 1968 (east wing)
Evaluation for:National Register Maryland Register not evaluatedPrepare a one-paragraph summary statement of significance addressing applicable criteria, followed by a narrative discussion of thehistory of the resource and its context. (For compliance projects, complete evaluation on a DOE Form – see manual.)
The Glenmont police station is the oldest extant police station building in Montgomery County. It was the first countystructure built to exclusively house police facilities. The brick Colonial Revival style building, designed in 1958 by Bagley-Soulé & Associates architects, reflects a civic image that draws on the traditional architecture of colonial Maryland. Inaddition, the building is the only surviving example of four Colonial Revival office buildings that county governmentagencies constructed in this era--the lone extant representative of the period of Colonial Revival civic buildings.Subsequent police stations built in Bethesda (1962), Silver Spring (1962), and Rockville (1963), were modernist in design.
In 1958, Montgomery County acquired the initial parcel of land, located along Glenmont-Colesville Road, now known asRandolph Road.
The fire station to the immediate west had been constructed in 1953. Over the course of less than adecade, the Glenmont area had become a suburban haven of several hundred single family houses, starting withGlenmont Forest, in 1949, followed by Glenmont Village and Glenmont Hills (1949), and Glenmont Knolls (1952).When it opened, the police station facility featured a large classroom, four detention cells, a four-stall pistol range, 20 x40-foot garage, and 60-car parking lot. The station was staffed by 52 officers, four desk clerks, and three committingmagistrates, and served a population of 70,000 in a 100-square mile district. The Glenmont Station served residents in adistrict bounded to the south by Plyers Mill Road, to the west by Rock Creek, and included Wheaton Triangle, Viers MillRoad, Colesville, and Olney.
Montgomery County acquired a parcel of 5,455 sq ft from Contee Sand & Gravel, October 28, 1958. Deed 2545:324.
Washington Post, November 21, 1959.