Period Areas of Significance Check and justify below
1600-1699 agriculture economics health/medicine performing arts1700-1799 archeology education industry philosophy1800-1899 architecture engineering invention politics/government
1900-1999 art entertainment/ landscape architecture religion2000- commerce recreation law sciencecommunications ethnic heritage literature social history
exploration/ maritime history transportationconservation settlement military other:
Evaluation for:National Register Maryland Register not evaluatedPrepare a one-paragraph summary statement of significance addressing applicable criteria, followed by a narrative discussion of thehistory of the resource and its context. (For compliance projects, complete evaluation on a DOE Form – see manual.)
Built in 1947, the Glenmont Water Tower is one of the oldest extant public elevated water tanks in Montgomery County.The tower is a prominent feature of Glenmont that has been identified by the community as a significant visuallandmark. The water tower facilitated the postwar suburban development of the Glenmont area, much of which wassubdivided starting in 1949.HISTORYIn 1942, the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission acquired the 0.64 acre parcel in Glenmont.
Charles andLischen Dwyer conveyed the property to WSSC on June 25, 1942, for $2,000. It was part of land that the Dwyers hadowned since 1911, and which they had acquired from Anne and Ernst Loffler.
Charles E. Dwyer was a localbusinessman who operated nearby a grocery store and gas station.
WSSC constructed the 500,000-gallon water tower in 1947, at a cost of $65,000.
(Figures 7 and 8) The Glenmont watertower was one of two elevated water tanks built by WSSC immediately following World War II. The other tower was theCabin John Water Tower (1946), at 6711 Tomlinson Avenue. In Glenmont, the 189-foot structure quickly became anicon for the community and a wayfinding landmark. In 1949, W.W. Moore included the water tower in directions to hisPlainfield Orchard, five miles out, in Ashton.
Deed 222: 35.
Dwyer’s store, later known as Xanders, was located on the site of the present-day Freestate Gas Station, at the NE intersection of Georgia Avenue and Layhill Road. The store was demolished in 1953. Michael Dwyer, Glenmont History, Glenmont Master PlanIssues Report, 1997.
Washington Post, February 2 and March 5, 1947.
Washington Post, November 7, 1949.