The Saint Croix Stock Farm at Todds Point, Charlotte County, NB
John L. Frost and William F. Todd purchase this property from William Connor on February 27, 1885. Shortly after, Wm. Todd bought land to the northeast “containing 60 acres granted to the late John Smith on March 1. 1831, reserving, however, a small piece of said lot about one” rod in length and one and one-half rods in width, wherein several bodies are interred. The exactlocation of this grave site seems to have eluded everyone up to this time.There is also a “special” lot granted to William F. Todd under the Great Seal of the Province of New Brunswick on the2nd day of July A.D. 1891, known as the “Shore Grant”, an intertidal lot granted to the late William F. Todd under the GreatSeal of the Province of New Brunswick on July 2, 1891. These three grants make up the farm and shore lands bought byWilliam F. Todd in the 1855-1891 period and held by Todd’s widow, Ethel G. Todd, until 1951.W.F. Todd was born in St. Stephen N.B. on May 2, 1854 son of Freeman H. and Adeline (Boardman) Todd. Mr. and Mrs.Freeman Todd lived at the Top of Buchanan Hill. There were eight children in the family.In 1879 he married Ethel Bolton. They had three daughters; Winifred, Adeline and Mildred.
As a young man he joined his father’s rm, F. H. Todd & Sons who were engaged in the lumber trade, manufacturing andshipping. He later attended Harvard University to study law but did not nd it to his liking and left without completing hiscourse. He embarked upon a private venture, the breeding and racing of ne horses. This resulted in the establishment of extensive and well equipped stables at Oak Point. He gathered the nest collection of racing horses ever assembled in theMaritimes and Northern New England. He was an Agriculturist and enjoyed hunting and shing and found great pleasure in
the outdoors.In the community he was an outstanding citizen, a prominent businessman and well versed in politics. He represented CharlotteCounty in the House of Assembly, 1899-1903; the House of Commons, 1908-1911 and was Lieutenant Governor of theProvince of New Brunswick from 1923-1928.The farm at Todd’s Point was called the St. Croix Stock Farm. He imported the very best horses, including Kentucky’s prideand joy, “Lumps”, a small stocky seal brown stallion who was brought from the United States. It was rumored that Toddrefused the sum of $38,000 for “Lumps”. “Lumps’_ died two weeks later. Another of his prized horses was “Edgardo” who