Most people are unaware of the hidden dangers to pets from antifreezepoisoning.
Unfortunately many animals find the taste of antifreeze very attractive, andingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death,especially in cats.The RSPCA and
(FAB) would like to remind people to takecare. Following our advice will help you to keep your pets safe.
Keep pets safe
Accidental poisonings due to spills and leaks from containers, as well as leakingwater coolant from cars happen every year and result in the death of pets.However if you make regular checks of your car to ensure it is not leaking watercoolant, and take care when storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and watercoolant from cars, most accidental deaths can be avoided.
Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away frompets and their environment.
Clean up any spills immediately
, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannotaccess the area until it is clean and safe.
Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly. Contactyour local authority for advice. You can find out who this is and how to contactthem by going to
and using the ‘search for your local council inEngland’ section on the home page.