Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
FB498 Ten Fifty-Six

FB498 Ten Fifty-Six

Ratings: (0)|Views: 3 |Likes:
Published by J.A.Morgan
We had made our mad dash for the hospital at approximately 1:45 a.m., then spent the majority of the rest of the morning sitting and waiting in between visits from a nurse. The only exception had been the twenty minutes that we had spent shuffling through the corridors of the birthing center.
We had made our mad dash for the hospital at approximately 1:45 a.m., then spent the majority of the rest of the morning sitting and waiting in between visits from a nurse. The only exception had been the twenty minutes that we had spent shuffling through the corridors of the birthing center.

More info:

Published by: J.A.Morgan on Feb 07, 2013
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as DOCX, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





 Baby on Board 
Ten Fifty-Six
We had made our mad dash for the hospital at approximately 1:45 a.m., then spent the majority of therest of the morning sitting and waiting in between visits from a nurse. The only exception had been thetwenty minutes that we had spent shuffling through the corridors of the birthing center.But, around 7 a.m. there was a shift change, and we got a new nurse named Chelsea and a new doctor
on call named Dr. Elliot. Dr. Elliot checked Theresa, pronounced that there still wasn’t much progress,
then okayed a p
itocin drip. I’m not sure of the exact medical translation, but to me the word “pitocin”means “we’re going to have a baby.”
 Chelsea started Theresa at a low dosage, then said she would be back to check on us in a little bit. Shealso suggested that we should have the goal of having the baby at 3 p.m. that day. This seemed like agood goal, although 3 p.m. sounded pretty far away.The pitocin started to kick in, and Theresa started to feel more contractions. I spent more and more timeby her side. I offered her my hand to squeeze as a show of support, but as the contractions continued toincrease I began to wonder if I would see my hand again.I tried to put her at ease by reading the computer screen that was showing the magnitude and intervalof her contractions. It was like reading a seismograph. I felt like a weatherman, able to read a couple of sciency looking charts and predict when her next contraction might hit.
“We’ve seen a lot of peaks and valleys over the last few minutes, but that will change over
the next fewminutes as we enter of a period of high valleys and very few peaks. You might want to pack an
“Shut. Up. Where’s your hand?”
Chelsea returned to perform another examination. After she was done tickling Theresa’s nether regions,
she glanced at the line graph on the computer and said that it was good that the contractions were
getting stronger and Theresa was starting to make progress. She upgraded her dilation level to “4.”
Then, she increased the pitocin drip.So, it went like this for the longest time. Theresa would squeeze my hand, I would pretend that I knew
what the line graph meant (“Hey, if this graph was from Google Analytics right now, it would mean thatyou have a lot of web traffic right now.”), and then Chelsea would look
in on us and raise the pitocinlevels.I could tell from the way that my fingers were mashed together that Theresa was starting to feel a lot
more pain. “Do you want me to ask about an epidural?” I asked.
“No,” she said. “Not yet.”
 Well, okay then.
 Baby on Board 
Someone from the cafeteria arrived with a tray full of food. Theresa mixed together some tea and dove
into the jello. “Did you want some?” She asked. I said no.
 Some of what happened is a bit of a blur. Theresa might have shifted around, and she might have usedthe bathroom. Actually, pretty routine stuff. Chelsea returned a couple of times to check on us.The next contraction hit. Theresa adjusted her tactics so that now she was grabbing a hold of 
of myhands, and needed me to stare at her, so that she could focus on my face. Finally, she said that shewanted something to mask the pain.
I wandered out to the nurse’s station, and talked to Chelsea. She said she would take a look and get the
paperwork going.Again, things are a little fuzzy but as I was guiding Theresa through another wave of contractions shesuddenly announced that she felt nauseous.Nauseous? I asked.
Yes, like I’m going to throw up, she answered.
I froze out of panic. She couldn’t move, so the bathroom was out. Where would you find something
forpuke in a hospital room? Out of desperation, I began looking for a wastebasket.
At Theresa’s suggestion, I paged the nurse’s station.
 Chelsea returned to our room while I was searching for something to give Theresa. I looked her way, andsaid that Theresa was feeling nauseous.
Chelsea’s response? “That’s okay, and in a few minutes I’ll tell you why.”
 And then she opened up one of the cupboards--one of the many cupboards, pulled out a receptacle andhanded it to Theresa.
It’s a good thing, too, because a
s it turns out Theresa was right about the whole being nauseous thing.
Instead of sharing the grizzly details, I’ll just tell you the first thing she said when she was done: “Ishouldn’t have eaten the Jello.”
 Hmm. Or the tea.Now things were starting to get serious. I mean, we went into the hospital to have a baby, and afterwitnessing the births of our first two children, I was pretty much prepared to see a little bit of blood, andto see Theresa in painful labor.But, those other births were Level 5.This was Level 12.Soon after throwing up, Theresa announced that she was feeling the urge to push, as if she needed topoop. Chelsea explained that she was simply feeling the baby now that he was much lower. Theresarepeated this several times, and of course the contractions were also growing more painful. Chelsea
 Baby on Board 
paged Dr. Elliot, and a few minutes later he arrived to check. Theresa was much farther along with thedilation. Chelsea told us that we were going to need to skip the epidural, the baby was so close to beingborn.Dr. Elliot prepped, and Chelsea transformed the ordinary looking hospital bed into a much scarier
looking “Baby
having” bed, complete with stirrups and buckets for the blood.
“We’re almost ready,” Chelsea said.
“We’re just waiting for a baby catcher.”
Of course, when she said “baby catcher,” the first thing that popped into my head was a net. But, it
turned out to be another nurse who took a position next to me.
“I need to push!” Theresa exclaimed. She was, of c
ourse, told not to. Dr. Elliot made some snips, andafter a few more minutes of waiting Chelsea told Theresa that she could push with her next contraction.The other nurse had said something about our son having hair, and I glanced down where I could seethe first little bit of hair poking out. Also, there was blood. Theresa called my name to get my attention,and we resumed our hand-crushing, no-flinching, staring contest.
Another push, and the baby’s head emerged from within Theresa. The nurse gave him a
little bit of a
bend and a nudge, and pulled the rest of him out. They inspected him, then laid him down on Theresa’s
belly. Dr. Elliot and Chelsea clipped the umbilical cord so that I could cut it.By now I was half in a fog. I had been near tears watching Theresa being in so much pain and thinkingabout how we were about to have a baby. With guidance, I accepted the medical scissors and snipped
the umbilical cord. Then, Nurse “baby catcher” carried him over to the heat lamp to clean him up and
take his vitals.
By then, it was after eleven o’clock.
 Elijah Jacob Morgan was born at 10:56 a.m.For the rest of the time, I took photos while the nurses cleaned up Elijah and the doctor treated Theresa.There was the afterbirth, and then he stitched her up.Once the dust had settled, Theresa was able to hold Elijah for the first time. She and I took turns holding
him. Eventually, it was three o’clock and I knew that the kids would be getting home from school. Or, at
least that they would be with Jenny Holliday who had agreed to watch them.
Because the hospital was on lock down, neither Kayla or Josh were allowed inside, so they wouldn’t be
able to meet their brother until he came home.
I called Jenny’s cell phone and talked to Kayla. Then, I launched a facetime call and aimed my iPhone’s
camera at Elijah. That was the first time that Kayla and Josh were able to see Eli.
Around dinner time I left to meet Jenny and the kids at McDonald’s.
I took Josh and Kayla back to ourhouse so they could pack their clothes. They were going to be staying over night with the Hollidays.I visited with Theresa and Elijah later that night and helped move them into a postpartum room, thenheaded back home.

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->