American University — Washington, D.C.
• Bachelor of Arts, graduated May 2013 with a 3.86 GPA and magna cum laude honors • Double major in Journalism and CLEG, an interdisciplinary program combining Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics and Government • Honors and Activities: University Honors Program, Dean’s List, Kappa au Alpha journalism honor society • Signiﬁcant Coursework: Digital Skills, 2012 Presidential Primaries, Fundamentals of News Design
American University of Rome — Rome
• Abroad program, Fall 2011
Te Record — Bergen County, N.J.
• Features and weekend news reporter, beginning fall 2013 • Cover health, ﬁtness, nutrition and food for Better Living section • Cover breaking news on Sundays for Local section
Te Washington Post — Washington, D.C.
• Reporting intern on the Metro staﬀ; spring and fall 2012, summer 2013 • Wrote obituaries, feature and news stories for Local section, including a Sunday Metro cover story • Elevated typical event stories with strong writing to earn good placement on B1 covers • Blogged breaking news and local crime briefs • Maintained the Local section’s social-media presence, including blog posts, witter and Facebook • Accepted to prestigious Summer 2013 Internship Program
Te Durango Herald & Te Cortez Journal — Washington, D.C.
• Capitol Hill reporting intern for two Southwest Colorado newspapers, covering Colorado’s Congressional delegation and political issues on the federal level relating to La Plata and Montezuma counties; spring 2013 • Wrote breaking news, features and explainers on federal legislation and its eﬀects on Colorado • Localized national stories like President Barack Obama’s second inauguration and State of the Union address with community angles and sources • Covered votes, hearings, bills and policies important to readers on topics like hydropower, wildﬁres and sequestration • Developed close sources in Colorado and on Capitol Hill • Wrote more than 60 stories over the course of the semester-long internship
Te Star-Ledger — Newark, N.J.
• Reporting intern on the Metro staﬀ, summer 2011; Online news producer, summer 2012 • Pitched and wrote longer feature stories, such as pieces about adult kickball leagues and the eﬀect of the recession on local July 4 ﬁreworks celebrations • Published several front page pieces, such as stories about the rising prices of ice cream, a major pharmaceutical company’s layoﬀs and the death of a local soldier in Afghanistan • Posted staﬀ and wire content to NJ.com, the online home of Te Star-Ledger • Copy-edited stories, wrote headlines, created photo galleries, developed search-engine optimization skills and aggregated local, regional and national stories for New Jersey audience • Maintained the newspaper’s social-media presence, including witter and Facebook • Reported breaking news stories for print and online
sdazio.com • @steﬀdaz