Did You Know?
TAXES AND SPENDING
• Indiana ranks 11th among the fty states in Business Tax Climate,and 4th when you only consider states with an individualincome, corporate income and sales tax.
• Despite low levels of state and local taxation, Hoosiers as awhole will work over 100 days this year just to pay the sum oftheir local, state and federal taxes.
• Around the country, many state and local governments areturning to tax and expenditure limits (TELs) to limit wastefulgovernment spending.
• Indiana is now one of the few states with a statewidescholarship program which allows low and middle incomefamilies to send their child to the school of their choice.• While Indiana spends over $9,000 per student to educatechildren in the public school system, Hoosiers taxpayers wouldspend no more than $4,500 per student to send children to aprivate school alternative.
National Assessment of Educational Progress and America’s Promise Alliance
• Indiana is now holding schools accountable and providingperformance rewards for teachers.• With these changes, in 2011, Indiana’s education system earnedthe grade of “B” up from “C+” just a year before.
American Legislative Exchange Council
• Indiana is now the rst “Right-to-Work” state in over a decadeand the rst in the industrial Midwest.• Right-to-Work states enjoy faster growing populations andhigher job growth rates.
U.S. Census Bureau & U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Known as the “Crossroads of America” the Hoosier State hasa rich and diverse history. Originally a wilderness outpost,Indiana rapidly became an important manufacturing state dueto its geographic location and Great Lakes access. Throughoutthe 20th century, Indiana grew to be an automotive, steel andpharmaceutical leader with strong ties to its agricultural core.
This pamphlet outlines ways that Indiana can remaincompetitive and create even greater prosperity for Hoosiers.• How can we keep taxes low and bringprosperity to our citizens?• How can we improve education for our children?• How can we help workers and improve Indiana’seconomic success?This pamphlet will attempt to answer these questions andprovide solutions for a future of prosperity and growth.
sound scalpolicy and management,
Indiana has grownto be a leader in theMidwest and thecountry as a whole.