I wrote a short book called ‘Survival Guide for the 21st Century Retailer’
It was my application of much of what you find within Cluetrain
A typical demo of ‘mobile advertising’ today goes as follows:
Is it? Is that what individuals/customers/users want? Have we asked?
You are still in my front room and I didn’t invite you in
It’s like this
It’s gone too far
It’s not enough just to use the terms
I mean really….I am on a car site so you think I want a car advert?
I am just one of the 95%+ who don’t engage but I WOULD IF YOU GAVE ME
Wanna know when the ‘year for mobile is’ and why it hasn’t happened yet?
DO Co-Create / Sponsor the content Co-Create / Sponsor the tools / platform
DON’T Interrupt the content Attempt to charge for the tools / platform
Mobile will sit within Direct Marketing as it is an engagement media
As David Armano says:
Vacuum cleaners used to be Hoovers but now they are Dysons
Internet Search used to be Yahoo or Alta Vista but now it is Google
- I found that the thing doesn’t work in the way I expected or wanted it to
- Someone I know said that the thing didn’t work in the way they expected
And it won’t be a day too soon
Let’s try an experiment
Here’s a question:
If you said ‘a’ then that would be consistent with most other people. Congrats!
I buy: Brands I purchase or brands I use to purchase
I use: Utilities that facilitate my life
The guy’s question above raises a valid point. My answer?
They care about what they think and what their friends think. That’s all
Now there’s a thing
But I would challenge this; I argue that collaboration improves communication
We have to ask ourselves – are we trying to innovate within restriction?
1. Transparency of Offering (allowing crystal clear understanding)
2. Relevancy of Communication (not assumed but assured)
3. Value of Incentive (not necessarily monetary)
4. Ease of Interaction (enabling intuitive interaction)
It’s not free. It costs money
1. Those who didn’t want a coffee
2. Those who didn’t like that particular brand of coffee
3. Those who didn’t like the brand
1. The incentive itself contains no hidden catch (Transparency)
3. The incentive is worth the payout (Value)
None of the above is revolutionary. This isn’t rocket science
Wiki History and usage of the term
Were they brilliant? Do they have the skills? Are they change junkies?