Douglaston Extensions DescriptionThe Proposed Douglaston Historic District Extensions, located in Douglas-ton, Queens, are a collection of the earliest buildings of the 1853 Village of Marathon subdivision and a number of Eclectic period residences con-structed primarily between 1900 and 1915, with some additional 1920s in-fill. These parcels represent the continuum of Douglaston’s earliest nine-teenth century planned development through the period of the twentiethcentury planned community, Douglas Manor. Two of these resources areimmediately threatened with demolition or alterations that would signifi-cantly change the context of this important enclave and how it relates toboth the Douglaston Historic District to the north and the Douglaston HillHistoric District to the south.The Proposed Douglaston Historic District Extensions consist of five sub-areas adjacent to the existing Douglaston Historic District (Figure 1). Onlythe Sub-areas A through C will be addressed at length in this document.Sub-area A is located immediately south of the existing district and is cen-tered on Douglaston Parkway and the western terminus of both Cherry andWillow streets. Sub-area B consists of a dozen buildings and several vacantlots located along 240
Street (also known as Prospect Avenue) and theeastern end of Cherry Street. Sub-area C consists of five properties southand west of the Douglaston Historic District on 233
Street, Bay Street andRegatta Place. Sub-area D is centered upon the Douglaston train stationand includes commercial buildings, a public school and a church. Sub-areaE is a small enclave of mid-19
and early 20
century houses, some withties to the former oysterman community, adjacent to the southeastern por-tion of the Douglaston Historic District.The history of the proposed Douglaston Historic District Extensions closelymirrors that of the Douglaston Hill Historic District. The Village of Marathon,a mid-19
century “suburban” community, was laid out in May of 1853 onthe former Jeremiah Lambertson farm, which encompassed approximately125 acres (Figure 2). The Village was bordered by the salt marshes of AlleyCreek and Little Neck Bay on the west; Northern Boulevard on the south;the “Ravine” to the east; and the estates of George Douglas and BenjaminAllen to the north. Eleven acres of the former farm located along a stretchof land on the west side of present-day Douglaston Parkway betweenNorthern Boulevard and the current Douglaston station of the Long IslandRailroad was reserved by the Lambertson family for their own use. Other-wise, the land was divided into 107 lots more or less one acre each in size.