Acts 5:34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
14. To validate His ministry and His teachings Jesus always appealed to the law. Never did theLord teach anything contrary to the law.
Luke 10:26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? How readest thou?
15. Following His resurrection Jesus still appealed to the law for validity of His death, burial,and resurrection.
Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses,and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
16. When the apostle John was led by the Spirit to write his gospel the insight came that whilethe law was given by Moses leading to an emphasis on legal obedience grace and truth cameby Christ.
John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
17. The Messiah could be and was found and followed by those who were familiar with the law.
John 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
18. When Jesus reminded the religious leaders they did not perfectly keep the law, they hatedHim and sought to kill Him.
John 7:19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?
19. The surgical act of circumcision could certainly be declared a
for it was thepracticing of medicine
The conscientious Jew found a dilemma. The law said that no work was to be done on the Sabbath. The law also said that on the eighth of a male’s birth he wasto be circumcised. When the eighth day fell on the Sabbath a decision had to be made towork at circumcising the child or allowing the eighth day to pass and wait for the ninth day.The decision was made to circumcise the child on the Sabbath.
John 7:23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on thesabbath day?