As a General Plan Committee member since 2006 I have made balanced decisions:
• I supported limits on construction time and a construction operation plan (COP) for job sites to help minimizethe impact of new home construction.• I voted for the implementation of Green Building guidelines to help preserve our environment.• I voted to overturn the 2002 decision to prohibit basements under accessory structures.• I voted against the controversial Historic Artifact Ordinance and suggested that a non-profit, volunteerfoundation be established. I lost this vote and consequently the Town is in a costly lawsuit.
It is clear that Atherton needs new leadership
–I am running to change the tone of local politics. I havethe experience, demeanor and breadth of knowledge necessary to bring a voice of reason and change to the Town Council. To learn more about me, log onto my website: www.elizabeth2008.com.Voters should know that my opponent would be “more of the same.”
–E l i z a b e t h L e w i s
Visit www.elizabeth2008.com to become a Neighbor for Elizabeth
Elizabeth Lewis & Family
The following are issues about whichI believe you should know the facts.
– -E l i z a b e t h L e w i s
Fiscal Accountabilityand Responsibility
My opponent says that he wants to“keep up the nancial progress of thepast six years.” But the next Council-member needs to be aware of whatthe nancial situation looks like downthe road as well as look back to see if the nancial footing is indeed solid. That is what I have done, and here iswhat I have found:• Revenue has exceeded projections due to increased assessment of property values, property taxes and building department permits, fees,and business licenses.• Town recently beneted from a substantial rebate from the State forover-withheld property tax revenue from the 1990’s.• There is approximately $200,000 in Business License fees that must berefunded, and more than $800,000 that should be allocated to the
– Building Department to relocate from their temporary trailers.– Reserve Fund will very shortly be reduced by more than $1,000,000 to correct errors.
• My opponent has confronted young football players during practicetelling them to vacate the elds, and his supporters have usedintimidating behavior to prevent these youths from using thepublic elds.
• Lawsuit Against Sequoia Union School District cost Atherton $58,000 inlegal fees. My opponent states in the Almanac “the Town had no choice”but to sue the District. The Editor of the Almanac in 2006 said, “It is ashame that the Council allowed this “NIMBY” lawsuit to proceed.• Lawsuit Against Property Rights regarding a resident wishing to relocatetwo urns from one property to another property in Atherton. Myopponent supported the Lindenwood Homes Association’s appeal of thePlanning Commission’s permission to allow the resident to relocatethe urns under the Heritage Artifact Ordinance regulations. This resultedin a lawsuit costing the Town over $200,000 in legal fees. ASuperior Court Judge chastised the Town saying it acted “capriciously”and should pay a portion of the resident’s legal fees.
My opponent has a record of supporting wasteful lawsuits:
I support organized youth sportsactivities and their ability to useMenlo Atherton High School elds: