Northeast Carry, Piscataquis County, MaineTimeline
Somerset County established, March 1, 1809. County seat isSkowhegan.
Maine constitution approved, October, 1819.
Maine constitution ratified, March 4, 1820.
Maine granted statehood from Massachusetts, March 15, 1820.
, Piscataquis County Incorporated, March 23, 1838, annexingportions of Somerset County(Northwest Unorganized Territories,including Northeast Carry Township) and portions of PenobscotCounty(Northeast Unorganized Territories). The northern portionextended to the Canadian border but, in 1844, the northern portion wasannexed by Aroostook County. The Piscataquis county seat is Dover-Foxcroft. Land/map references list the Northeast Carry Township as TWP3, Range 14 & 15. W.E.L.S. means “West of the Easterly Line of theState”.
, September, Thoreau--The Maine Woods. Describes arriving bysteamer at the long pier and not much else. He describes the rude lograilway and the ox “truck”. Also describes a clearing which was,probably what we remember as the “middle field”.
In Minstrelsy of Maine, by Fannie Hardy Eckstorm, Gryphon Books,1927, Pages,65,76,80,133,134,and 135, there is a story about Dan Goldenwho wrote two songs, “Katahdin Green” and John Ross”. The “John Ross”song was reported as being sung at Ross’s Lobster camps. Golden workedfor Ross, in the woods, for 36 winters, from 1867.Also, from the registry at the Lily Bay House, there is a notationidentifying Mel Whitten as a jobber for John Ross(Parker, BeyondMoosehead II, page 23).
U. S. Census:Luce, George C., Birth: abt 1836, Residence: Township 3, Piscataquis,Maine.
Morrison’s Tavern, described as the first building at NortheastCarry(The Moosehead Lake Region, Nathan D. Hamilton and Cynthia A.Thayer, page 54). The Tavern had two distinctive architecturalfeatures which can be seen in later photos of the Winnegarnock House.The features are: the tall narrow second floor window above the frontentrance; and the two chimneys, one at each end of the building. Atthe time of this picture, there is no building on the site of thestore, which was always referred to as the “Hotel”, during Bill andFloss LaCrosse’s ownership.Sometime between Morrison’s time, and 1878, John Ross must haveacquired the Tavern, if it is the “Carry House” described in the Ross-Savage transaction, next. Also, I found a reference that John Ross hada Lobster Lake Operation. There are descriptions of a land trail fromthe Ross Farm, over the ridge to Lobster. Guests would, often, take