St. Louis, Saskatchewan
St. Louis, formerly St. Louis de Langevin, is a village in the province of Saskatchewan,south of Prince Albert and northeast of Batoche. The Metis established St. Louis in thelate 1800s on the South Saskatchewan River. It is located on the old cart trail from FortGarry to Edmonton and was also called McKenzie’s Crossing. At this crossing there wasa ferry operated by Norman McKenzie who was previously employed at ManitobaHouse.It was founded by Metis settlers in the late 19th century, and is the northernmostSouthbranch Settlement, a series of Metis communities which range from Tourond’sCoulee (Fish Creek) in the south along the South Saskatchewan through Batoche and St.Laurent to St. Louis.St. Louis is home to a large archaeological site of aboriginal artifacts predating thosefound at Wanuskewin near Saskatoon. Key discoveries at the site have included newspecies of wolf and buffalo approximately 25% larger than modern species and a beadthat indicates decoration of clothing about 1000 years earlier than previously thought.St. Louis is just northeast of the former South Branch House, one of many small trading posts from fur trading days; this post was attacked and burnt by the Atsina
(Gros Ventre)in the 18th century in retaliation for the company's supplying their enemies the Cree andAssiniboine with guns and goods.The first post office was founded under the name of Boucher, Saskatchewan NWT on 1February 1888 with the first post master being Reverend Eugene Lecoq. The post master was succeeded by Jean Baptiste Boucher Sr.
who homesteaded at Sec.11, Twp.45, R.27,W2 which happened to also be the location of the post office. In 1897-05-01 the postoffice changed names to St. Louis, Saskatchewan NWT. Historically it was bordered bythe Anglo-Metis settlements of Halcro and Red Deer Hill to the north.Edited and Compiled by Lawrence BarkwellCoordinator of Metis Heritage and History ResearchLouis Riel Institute
Literally the “White Clay People” or “Lime People.”
Jean Baptiste Boucher (1838-1911) was the son of Jean Marie Boucherand Catherine Minsey. He wasmarried to Caroline Lesperance the daughter of Alexis Bonami Lesperance.