Biology CP Study Guide(DNA, RNA, & Protein Synthesis)
Name _____________________________________________Date _____________
The Structure of DNA:
1. DNA contains instructions for…
2. Chromosomes are made of…
3. The shape of a DNA molecule is called (hint – another name for twisted ladder)…
4. The backbone (nucleotide) of DNA is made of three parts…
Sugar, Phosphate, Nitrogen Bases
5. The bases are made of (hint – starts with N)…
6. DNA has four different bases. They are called…
Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, Cytosine
7.Some bases have a 1-ring structure; we refer to these as (hint – starts with a Py)
Some bases have a 2-ring structure; we refer to these as (hint – starts with a Pu)
8. Which two bases have a 2-ring structure? (
Adenine & Guanine
, or Thymine &Cytosine?)Which two bases have a 1-ring structure? (Adenine & Guanine, or
?)9. What kinds of bonds are formed between the bases in DNA? Are they strong or weak bonds?
Hydrogen Bonds; Weak – allows for DNA Replication
10. Which bases are complimentary (always join together)?
11. How many meters of DNA does each cell contain?
~ 2mDNA Replication:
1.Are the bonds between the sugars and phosphates strong or weak? Why do youthink that is important?
Strong; DNA will not fall apart
2.What is the definition of replication?
Process by which DNA unwinds and makes copies of itself