The following year, the family began work on a more permanent home of red brick madefrom the clay found on site.
This home and the grounds are now the Dunham WoodsRiding Club. The two-story structure reflects the rustic style characteristic of simplepioneer architecture. Much of the interior of the lower floor is clad with black woodpaneling and large tiles. Upstairs, the rooms are small and simple, a far cry from thelavish dressings of the future Dunham home.Solomon Dunham appears to have been an influential figure in the early days of the Saint Charles Township. He is known to have formed an organization for the
protection of the pioneers’ land claims and had prevented several families from being
ousted from their homes.
Dunham had also held office on the Kane County’s first Board
of Commissioners and on July 7, 1853, was appointed the first postmaster of Wayne.Dunham was a civil engineer and surveyor by trade and when the first railroad west of Chicago (the Chicago and Galena) was being built, he pushed for the track to go throughhis own land.
The Village of Wayne moved from its original site east of the Dunham
property to a spot along the tracks where it is still located today. In 1857, Solomon’swife, Lydia, died and on April 2, 1865, Solomon Dunham, one of the Fox Valley’s most
influential settlers, perished at the age of seventy-four.
UNHAM AND HIS
The importance of the Dunham Family in the Fox Valley did not end with
Solomon. On June 22, 1842, Mark Wentworth Dunham, Solomon and Lydia’s youngest
Ruth S. Pearson. “Castle in Wayne.” Interview with Jane Dunham. (date unknown.) SCHC. Dunham
Samuel W. Durante.
Commemorative Records, Biographies of Kane County.
Chicago, 1888. 547.