organization of the Disciples of Christ, operated three schools of nursing:
Sallie Long Read Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
(Laoag,Ilocos Norte, 1903)
Mary Chiles Hospital School of Nursing
(Manila 1911). The hospitalwas established by in Dr. W.N. Lemon in small house on Azcarraga,Sampaloc, Manila. In 1913, Miss Mary Chiles of Independence,Montana, donated a large sum of money with which the presentbuilding at Gastambide was bought. The Tuason Annex was donated byMiss Esperanza Tuazon, a Filipino Philntropist.
Frank Dunn Memorial Hospital
(Vigan, Ilocos Sur, 1912)
San Juan de Dios Hospital of Nursing (Manila, 1913)
It was June 16, 1913, a school of Nursing was opened, indulged with theaim of providing service not only to the poor, but to the poorest of the poor. ThoughWorld War II had almost put its work of Charity to an end, post war reconstructionand rehabilitation resulted in New Hospital in Dewey Boulevard, presently RoxasBoulevard. Adjacent to it is the New College of Nursing, the school of Nursingdefunct from 1936 to 1942,re-opened in 1953. The college administered byt theDaughters of Charity of Daughter's of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, who'scompany was founded by the later, the universal patron of all works of Charity withco-foundress.St. Louise de Marillac, the patroness of all those who devotethemselves to Christian Social work. Then later, it opened a new course of MedicalTechnology which had received government recognition in1969 and was absorbedby the college in 1972. And recently, year 1993, a new department was opened,the Department of Physical Therapy. Thus training more students and molding themtowards accomplishing the mission inculcated to us by St. Vincent to the fullest andthat is "Service....." Services to the people regardless of their status in life.
8.Emmanuel Hospital School of Nursing (Capiz,1913)
In 1913, the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society sent
to Capiz for the purpose of opening a hospital,
Miss Rose Nicolet
assistedhim. The school offered a 3-year training course for an annual fee of Php 100.00.
Miss Ciara Pedrosa
was the first Filipino principal.
9.Southern Islands Hospital School of Nursing (Cebu,1918)
The hospital was established in 1911 under the Bureau of Health. Theschool opened in 1918 with
, as the organizer.
was the first principal.
10.Zamboanga General Hospital School of Nursing (1921)
When the civil government was extended to Mindanao and Sulu in 1914, thegovernment made it its basic policy the establishment of a hospital and dispensary.This was to provide effective medical relief and the promotion of wellness in thecommunity. This in turn necessitated the educating, training, and ultimately hiring of graduate nurses.In the begining, difficulties arose in the training , and of retaining nurses fromthe north, due to the special conditions prevailing in the department. Thus theestablishment of Zamboanga General Hospital training School for Nurses wasdeemed necessary.In 1918 , Zamboanga was the capital town of the non-christian province of Mindanao and Sulu.Jacobo Fajardo, then Chief, Division of Provincial Sanitation,Philippine Health Service,saw the need for a hospital to care for and treat contagiousdiseases and at the same time promote wellness and healthful living in thecommunity!