Final EIS for the Sale of Plum Island, New York June 25, 2013
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) and the Department of Homeland Security(DHS) are acting together as Joint Lead Agencies to perform the environmental impact analyses presented in the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). Additionally, as documented in aMemorandum of Agreement dated February 17, 2011, the U.S. Environmental ProtectionAgency and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are “cooperating agencies” (as that term is defined in40 Code of Federal Regulations 1501.6) with the Joint Lead Agencies for the preparation of theEIS.The EIS complies with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 asamended (NEPA) for the federal government’s decision of selling the Plum Island AnimalDisease Center (PIADC) located on Plum Island, New York. The EIS presents a review of the potential for effects on the human and the natural environments related to the decision to sell thesame. The Executive Summary provides a concise overview of the subject matter contained inthe EIS and notes corresponding sections of the EIS where more detailed information on anygiven topic can be found.
The following parcels of land support the PIADC’s mission and constitute the property that will be sold: an island, known as “Plum Island,” situated in Long Island Sound, New York,containing approximately 840 acres of land, and a support facility known as the “Orient PointFacility” containing approximately 9.5 acres of land with a nearby small parcel of landcontaining a substation, both of which are situated in Orient Point, New York. The above-described parcels of land are collectively referred to as the “Property” in this ExecutiveSummary and are shown on Figure ES-1.Plum Island and the Orient Point Facility are located within the jurisdictional boundaries of theTown of Southold (Town) in Suffolk County, New York. Plum Island is situated approximately1.5 miles off the northeast tip of Orient Point, Long Island, New York. The Property is improvedwith roughly 50 buildings containing a total of approximately 559,579 square feet. Plum Islandcontains 47 of the 50 buildings, including a 55,000-square-foot administrative building, a190,500-square-foot laboratory, and various support buildings. The Orient Point Facility isimproved with a 2,890-square-foot administrative building, a supply warehouse, and a 780-square-foot guard post. The Property is also improved with approximately 8 miles of roadinfrastructure, harbor facilities, and an approximately 200-space parking lot at the Orient PointFacility.
Portions of Plum Island have been in federal ownership since 1826 and have been used for varying purposes since that time. At one point, Plum Island served to support an active militaryfacility known as “Fort Terry,” and later was used for military research purposes. In 1954, theU.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) established PIADC. In 2003, the Property wastransferred to DHS, which currently oversees the safety and security of the Property while