NEPANTLERAS, WIZARDS, ENOUGH WORLDS, GRACE, AND PERIPHERAL PARTICIPATIONS
• “I use the word nepantla to theorizeliminality and to talk about those whofacilitate passages between worlds, whomI’ve named nepantleras.”
• “These are what I refer to as ‘wizards’:that is, they are both repositories of localknowledge about the social and technicalsituations, and simultaneously, they knowenough of more than one layer to performrare cross-layering coordination. Bydefinition, this work is ‘interdisciplinary’….”
• “I guess I’d locate my hope in being partof enough different worlds simultaneously. .. . I’ve tried to model a way of being in thiskind of an organization that makes sense tome. It makes sense to me in the ways thatit’s been formed by all these other worldsthat I’m part of.”
(Suchman & Scharmer1999)
• "Differential consciousness requires grace,flexibility, and strength: enough strength toconfidently commit to a well-definedstructure of identity for one hour, day,week, month, year; enough flexibility toself-consciously transform that identityaccording to the requisites of anotheroppositional ideological tactic if readings of power's formation require it; enough graceto recognize alliance with others committedto egalitarian social relations and race,gender, sex, class, and social justice, whenthese other readings of power call foralternative oppositional stands."
• “People often cannot see what they take for granted until they encounter someone who does nottake it for granted.”
(Bowker and Star 1999:305)
Anzaldúa, G. 2002. “(Un)natural bridges.” In eds. Anzaldúa, G. & Keating, A.
this bridge we call home
, pp. 1-5. Routledge.
Bowker, G.C., & Star, S.L. 1999.
Sorting things out: classification and its consequences
Sandoval, C. 2000.
Methodology of the oppressed
Star, S.L. 2010. “This is Not a Boundary Object.”
Science, Technology & Human Values
Suchman, L. & Scharmer, C.O. 1999. “I have, more than ever, a sense of the immovability of these institutions.” http://www.iwp.jku.at/born/mpwfst/02/www.dialogonleadership.org/Suchmanx1999.htmlImage: http://www.lynnrandolph.com