Welcome to Scribd. Sign in or start your free trial to enjoy unlimited e-books, audiobooks & documents.Find out more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Point Chevalier Times No.5

Point Chevalier Times No.5

Ratings: (0)|Views: 440|Likes:
Published by Lisa Truttman
Newsletter for the Pt Chevalier History Group, Auckland. Contents: Sutherland Estate Part 2, Wolfe Bequest Home, shopping centre history, SH16 motorway, St Catherine's Maternity Home (Nurse Pohlen)
Newsletter for the Pt Chevalier History Group, Auckland. Contents: Sutherland Estate Part 2, Wolfe Bequest Home, shopping centre history, SH16 motorway, St Catherine's Maternity Home (Nurse Pohlen)

More info:

Categories:Types, Research, History
Published by: Lisa Truttman on Jun 19, 2009
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





cÉ|Çà V{xätÄ|xÜ 
 Newsletter for the Point Chevalier History Group No. 5 June 2009
 Next issue due out June 2009Contact Lisa Truttman (editor) : 19 Methuen Road, Avondale, Auckland 0600,phone (09) 828-8494or email historian@avondale.org.nz
1980-1981— State Highway 16, otherwise known as the North-Western Motorway, is a graded swathe throughthe southern part of Sutherland’s Estate, behind the Pt Chevalier Shopping Centre (the brick building at theleft is the rear of the Ambassador Theatre). Gone are houses built on the estate from 1905 through to the1950s, and in the distance was once where golfers strode out across the greens between the Chamberlain Park holes.
 Photograph courtesy Jean Jones.
Next meeting of the Pt Chevalier History Group
This is to be held at the Walsh Memorial Library, MOTAT,10.30 am, Thursday 25 June 2009
The Sutherland Estate (Part 2):“Gone to the Motorway”
I was asked the other day about old boundaries between Pt Chevalier and Mt Albert. Today, bounda-ries have been simplified with the coming of the motorway, SH16, through part of Pt Chevalier:north of the motorway is still Pt Chevalier, south is Mt Albert. Before then, though, the boundary ranthrough the grounds of Pt Chevalier (Gladstone) School, between Monaghan Ave and Seaview Ter-race off Carrington Road. The whole of the old Sutherland Estate (see previous issue) was Pt Cheva-lier. This is about the southern part of that estate; Sutherland and Parr Roads, and the Great NorthRoad properties from Carrington Road to what was once Chamberlain golf course.
(continued next page)
Great North Road
In 1925, Hellabys transferred Lots 1-8 and 27(see plan below), formerly used by their com- pany as grazing land, to Colin Woollam Ander-son. Now, Anderson had no direct associationwith the district, other than he owned the landand sold it off for development and profit. But hewas a notorious character in his own right. Hearrived in Auckland, via Africa, accompanied bya wealthy Englishwoman bearing a title but towhom he was not married. They set up home inTamaki House, said to have been one of thelargest and most luxurious houses in NewZealand. Anderson became director and manager of the Civic Theatre, where his lover died after afall down some stairs. After a series of losses insocial standing, the manic depressive Andersoncommitted suicide in the same mansion.
His Pt Chevalier property was sold off during themid to late 1920s. At 1040 Great North Road, awooden house named “Gonzeaucourt” was built.At 1048 Great North Road, Anderson sold the property to Harold Frederick Lowndes, a contrac-tor, who built a bungalow in 1929. This was soldto a carpenter named Percy Sawyer. From around1938, Nurse Annie Sophia Gillender Pohlen setup the St Catherine’s Maternity Home, purchas-ing the property outright from Sawyer in 1943.From 1944, she was joined by Mary ElizabethPohlen, and the maternity home operated untilc.1973, according to file references in the Ar-chives NZ database. Annie Pohlen died in 1976,while Mary Pohlen died in 1989. Folks still knowthe home best as “Nurse Pohlen’s”. (My thanksto L. E. Elliott for sending me two early birthnotices showing births at Nurse Pohlen’s, as wellas photos.)
At around No. 1104, a factory was built c.1953 by McClymont Confectionery Ltd. This was de-veloped in the 1990s into the shopping complexthere today (Mad Butcher, etc.)
1136-1138 Great North Road was just an emptysection until Henry John Lyon built a workshop
DP 2300, copyright LandInformation NZ.
there in 1926. The site was purchased in 1943 bythe Pt Chevalier Returned Ex-Serviceman’sAssn., with their own developments between1944-1972, and further in 1992. Between thereand Parr Road, wood houses and sheds predomi-nated. The Church of Church owned the corner at1170-1172 Great North Road, but never built onit. Instead, it was sold, and the buyer built a woodand brick house there.
At 1186 Great North Road, an iron shop andsheds was owned by Mrs. Ada Taylor fromc.1935. According to NZ Map 1294 at SpecialCollections, for the Liverpool Estate, Pt Cheva-lier’s early post and telegraph office (c.1915) wasa building around 1196 Great North Road. At No. 1200, a brick shop and lockup served as Ar-thur Sydney Watkin’s butcher shop in 1921, pur-chased by Hellabys in 1924, and then served as ageneral store owned by Jens Peter Paulson from1937. At 1208, a wooden house owned by Hally- burton Johnstone in 1920 was shifted once theASB bought the site, making way for the ASBBank building in the 1930s. Hallyburton alsoowned land on which the Ambassador Theatrecame to be built c. 1929.
 Nos. 1224-1234 were empty allotments until c.1926 when William Paget built a brick grocer’sshop at 1232, then W.H. and Amy De Luen builttwo wooden shops at 1224-1228 in 1930, andfinally a brick shop was built at 1234.
Finally, at 1238 Great North, Lawrence CyrilMoore Wilson operated a grocers store on thesite as at 1920. This may have been a buildingused as refreshment rooms back when the Liver- pool Estate across the road (see last issue) was being subdivided and sold from 1915 onward.This would make the small corner store one of PtChevalier’s early buildings, and a survivor fromthe first shops here. In 1922, Ernest James Bright bought the business, while Wilson remained asowner of the building, and in 1952 concrete addi-tions were added along the Carrington Roadfrontage.
Carrington Road
Heading down from the grocer’s store, at No. 14there was a villa dating from c.1905. This wasdemolished when the motorway constructionwent through from the 1960s. Then came aswathe of land, to the corner with SutherlandStreet, and on down towards Parr Road, owned by T. J. McIvor until his death in 1937. Hishouse, another c.1905 villa, was at 26 CarringtonRoad.
Thomas James McIvor was born in 1857 inAuckland. He learnt the upholstering trade fromthe firm of T. & H. Cook, and then struck out onhis own. In the nineteenth century, upholstererswere among the number of trades which evolvedinto the business of funeral undertaking — otherswere carriers (carrying the coffins), furnishers(building the coffins — Battersby’s of Avondaleis an example), and florists. McIvor’s funeral parlour was on Karangahape Road. He was amember of the Grey Lynn Bowling Club from1908, and owned land at Blockhouse Bay possi- bly for holidays from 1894-1901, but he was a PtChevalier resident.
Parr and Sutherland Roads were dedicated c.1907 by Alexander Sutherland. Auckland City Li- brary’s website has the suggestion that Parr Roadis named for C. J. Parr — but he wasn’t Mayor of Auckland until 1911, and an MP later still. Per-haps Parr simply had some personal meaning for the Sutherland family.
The southern corner with Carrington Road was purchased in 1906 by the Colonial AmmunitionCompany (famous for the shot tower still existingat Mt Eden). In 1907, however, they sold their 
 Nurse A. Pohlen outside her private maternityhospital, Great North Road. B. R. Elliott Photo,courtesy L. E. Elliott.

Activity (2)

You've already reviewed this. Edit your review.
1 thousand reads
1 hundred reads

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->