Tait Park is officially given the address of 103-109 Rosebank Road.Originally, this was part of the 1880s Rosebank Estate, part of a19th century sheep farm. In 1882, it was purchased by Frederick George Ewington, along with other parts of the estate, and sold toDavid and Eliza Ann Kerr of Avondale in 1892. The Kerrs sold the property to Avondale butcher and businessman Charles Fearon in1921. It was Fearon who eventually sold the site of today’s TaitPark to another Avondale businessman, W. J. Tait.
William John Tait was the longest serving of Avondale's Mayors(1923-1927). He served many years on the Avondale Road Board before the Borough period, and in 1937 spearheaded the creation of the Avondale Businessmen's Association (which still continuestoday, after some changes of name and constitution). He ran a land agent's business, and built the UnityBuildings on the corner of Rosebank and Great North Roads in 1932.In March 1927, he announced that he would not seek re-election. He stated, according to the BoroughCouncil’s minutes, that “he had no intention of offering himself as a candidate for the Mayoralty at theforthcoming election, and wished to make a personal statement. In the first place he reminded the coun-cillors present that when it had been decided to grant an honorarium to the Mayor he had stated at thetime that he would refund the money to the Borough in some shape or form. His first idea had been toerect a shelter shed on the Great North Road near the Post Office
[at that time, this was the old Avondale Hotel, today the ASB Bank],
but had nowdecided to present to the Borough a Chil-dren’s playground. With this object in viewMr. Tait had purchased a piece of land at thecorner of Rosebank Road and High Streetwhich he intended to equip and hand over the titles to the council.” The original corner section (Lot 2) cost Tait £200, with swings,slide and sandpit costing a further £200, the
Original 1927 gift(lot 2)Lot 1 added 1928
The land purchased by William J. Tait fromCharles Fearon, which became Tait Park.From NA 383/285, Land Information NZ