fool the police who regularly moni-tored that “den of iniquity”.Later, when restrictive licensingcame into force, some joined sportsclubs simply so they could enjoytheir pint legally. According to MrGrubb, the racecourse jockeys hadtheir own secret bar under the grand-stands at one time.By 1912, the old building hadbeen sold to the Post Office. “
By1912 the postal business had grown to sufficient proportions to justify a separate building, and onFebruary 13 of that year the premises which had served for the past 26 years were occupied. Theyhad been acquired by the P. and T. Department and converted from a hotel, “no license” havingbeen carried in the district, whichwas, at this time, part of the Edenelectorate.”
[Speech by H. G. R.Mason, Minister of Justice, 19 Au-gust 1938.]
“The Hotel was made into the Post Office (1912). It was a beautifullooking place inside. All the counter was polished and done with brass –that must have been where the bar used to be. The Post Office was alsothe manual exchange.”
[Section of Avondale Oral Histories, 1990/1991]Come general election day, a sheetwould be hung from the hotel veran-dah facing the Page’s Building, andthe results as they came in to the postoffice would be posted up on thesheet for the crowds to see under theshop verandahs. [Conversation withMrs V. Crawford, 28 June 2001]In 1938, the Post Office moved fromthe Hotel building to a purpose-builtPost Office on the corner of Rosebank Road andGreat North Road. Once more, the Hotel was up forsale.It was bought in 1940 bought by Mr Albert E. Bai-ley, and renamed Avoncourt.
“Avoncourt is listed in the AA Hotel guide as “2027 Great North Road, Avondale, 30 Beds, B.B.” as Mr Bailey gave up the full board service in 1957. Up un-til it’s demolition in 1967, Avoncourt only hotel be-tween Symonds Street and Henderson.”
[WesternLeader, 18/8/65]For 25 years Avoncourt was as an Avondale land-mark. But in 1965 it was again put on the market forsale. In September 1967 the Avoncourt Hotel wasdemolished. Avondale’s first supermarket, Coopers,built on the site.The site of revelry and suicide, of fire and Post Of-fice, was a supermarket and small mall until 1976,then the Inner Circle Development until 1991, andnow the site of the ASB Bank, Spiders Bar, Top CatLiquor Store, Bakehouse Café, Avondale Pet Centreand Jungle Instinct.Another old landmark of Avondale, however, hasbeen lost.
The Avondale HistoricalJournal
Volume 1,Issue 3
Going Down to the Hotel (part two)Going Down to the Hotel (part two)Going Down to the Hotel (part two)Going Down to the Hotel (part two)
“Those who had imbibed too much at the Avondale Hotel in those lat- ter days of the li- cence ran the risk of being thrown bodily into the trough to sober up.”
Heart of the Whau Project Publications
Heart of the Whau
I’ve also put together afew mini-projects in the last year:
Towards a Bright Future: The History of the Avondale Business Association 1937 to 2001. 14 pages.
Bookmarks: A history of Avondale’s publiclibraries 1868 to 1973. 8 pages.
The Story of Victoria Hall, 1897 to 1887. 14 pages.
Anyone wishing to have copies of any of these, please letme know. $4 each should cover post and copying.