PET TALES • AUTUMN EDITION
AUTUMN SAFETY HAZARDS
The all season is a wonderul time to spend outdoors withyour pets, but there are some hazards that need to bewatched out or.
There are many types o wild mushrooms that are toxic topets, as well as people. Depending on the type ingested,they can cause diarrhea, vomiting, kidney or liver ailure.The onset o clinical signs can also vary rom within an hourup to two days ater consumption. The death cap mushroom(Amanita mushroom) is endemic around this area. Dogsshould be closely monitored outdoors to make sure they donot ingest these or other types o mushrooms.
With the weather getting colder, rodents will seek warmshelter in houses. Rodenticides are poisonous to pets, just as they are toxic to the rodents they ght against.Ingestion will cause severe bleeding that can lead to death.Keep track o the rodenticides used in your home and keep them out o thereach o pets. Contact your veterinarian immediately i you know, or suspect,your pet has gotten into a rodenticide.
Chocolate is a popular people treat and is even more popular around Halloween.Most people know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but many don’t realize thereis not a set toxic dose. The toxicity level o chocolate is based on what type o chocolate is eaten, how much is consumed and how much your pet weighs.You should contact your veterinarian i your pet gets into any chocolate.Common toxic eects seen with chocolate are vomiting, diarrhea, restlessnessand tremors.
Xylitol, an articial sweetener, is another toxin that aectsdogs. It is most commonly ound in sugar-ree gum,but it can also be ound in other sugar-ree candies anddental products (toothpastes, mouthwashes). It will causeseverely low blood sugar, which can result in weakness,uncoordinated movements and seizures. It can also causeacute liver ailure.
This is one o the most popular holidays in which peoplelike to indulge in oods and allow their pets to enjoy in theirmeal as well. Be aware that turkey bones (or other animalbones) can potentially get stuck and/or pierce a hole in theesophagus or any portion o the digestive tract. The attyoods that humans eat can also cause pancreatitis in pets,which maniests most requently as abdominal pain andvomiting.
Antireeze is extremely toxic to animals and tastes good to them. A very smallamount will cause kidney ailure and death in dogs and cats. Make sure plentyo water is available or your pets and be sure to store this product saely andout o reach o pets. I there’s any suspicion that your pet may have consumedantireeze, veterinary care should be sought immediately.
A New Jersey native, Dr. De Vito graduated cum laude in 2009 rom Cook College,Rutgers - The State University o New Jersey with a BS in Animal Science. She thenwent on to Virginia-Maryland Regional College o Veterinary Medicine where she graduated in 2013. Her proessional interests are working with small animalsand equines, emergency medicine, reproduction and cardiology. She would liketo pursue a residency in radiology.
Stephanie DeVit, DVM
Veterinary Specialistsand Emergency ServiceMonroe Veterinary Associates