On February 16, 1852, Henry and Clement Studebakeropened the H & C Studebaker blacksmith shop at thecorner of Michigan and Jefferson Streets in SouthBend, Indiana. Despite its reputation as styling leader,Studebaker faced stiff competition in the 1950s alongwith falling sales. A merger with the Packard MotorCar Company came in 1954, but Studebaker-Packardwould fare no better. Strong losses continued, and thePackard brand was terminated in 1958. Studebaker’sfinancial problems continued, and in December of 1963, Studebaker closed its South Bend plant.Production continued at Studebaker’s Hamilton,Ontario factory until the last Studebaker wascompleted on March 17, 1966. The StudebakerCorporation donated its collection and Archives to theCity of South Bend in late 1966.