When planning to write a short story, it is very tempting to sit down and just start writing. However,it is important to map out what you will say and plan the order of what will happen to make for alogical and sequential story. It is much more interesting to read a story that you can follow!
A successful and entertaining short story should include these five elements:1. characters – the people, animals or imaginary creatures the story isabout2. the setting – the time and location of your story3. the plot – what happens in the story4. the point of view - narrator 5. theme of the story – main idea
- short stories usually have few characters. One character is the main character and is central to the story. He/she/it is the
The opposing character is the
antagonist.To make interesting characters you will want to tell about:A.
their nameB. their physical appearance
C. jobD. what they say, think, feel and dream
E. what others say about them and how others react to them
2. The setting
– the time and location of your story
- geographical location. Where is the action of the story taking place? Desert, jungle, arctic, city, rural area, place in the past, futuristic city?
- When is the story taking place? (historical period, time of day, year, etc)
- Is it rainy, sunny, stormy, etc?
mood or atmosphere
- What feeling is created at the beginning of the story? Is it brightand cheerful or dark and frightening?