- Mechanism by which two geographically isolated populations evolve into separate species
- Any site on an enzyme that is not an active site
alternation of generations
- Plant reproductive cycle in which a haploid phase, during which a gametophyte is formed, leads to a diploid phase, in which asporophyte is formed. Spores produced by the meiotic division of the sporophyte then lead to new gametophytes.
- Acts performed by one individual in a population that are beneficial to others but detrimental to that individual
- Tiny sacs in the lungs where gases are exchanged with the blood
- Functional group containing nitrogen and three substituents. The functional groups within a given molecule are those atomsresponsible for the characteristic result in a chemical reaction.
- Small molecule composed of a central carbon atom, an amino group, a carboxyl group, a hydrogen atom, and a functional group
- Process during which nitrogen-containing compounds are broken down by bacteria and fungi and converted to ammonium ions
- Membrane enclosing the sac containing amniotic fluid and the embryo in amniotic eggs
- Shelled eggs containing a nutrient-filled amniotic sac that prevents dehydration of the embryo and provides it with protection andnourishment
- Two thin, transparent membranes that hold the developing embryo until just prior to birth
- Region of the brain within which sensory data converges from other sources, such as the thalamus and brainstem