material is sifted, the majority of the fine powder represents your greatest values, this is where your sampleswill come from using the sampler the same as in the previous post. They rarely dry a sample after incineration because it hasn't had time to pick up moisture. There is oversized material in the sifter, it is your material and it almost always contains values. Have it put in a 5 gallon pail and put a seal on it and take ithome. When you accumulate enough of this stuff bring it back for crushing and sifting again. Usually thereare 3 fractions coming off the sifter, the oversize is broken down into magnetics (low value) metallics (higher value, usually there's bigger pieces of gold in there) and chunks of wanna be powder that didn't crush. Youwant it all. If there's a large fraction of metallics the refiner may suggest melting it. Finish with your sweepssamples and rep the melt just like the method described for melt-able scrap.Again you will leave with paperwork stating the settlement weight, you will have sealed up an umpiresample and you have your sample. And you have seen it all processed before your eyes.The last type of material to watch at a refiner is e-scrap, my next post will detail that sampling process, I haveto rest my fingers.
» Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pmThe last and possibly the most popular type of scrap (for this forum) to send out to a refiner is e-scrap. Fromwhat I've read on this forum a-lot of our members get this scrap and cherry pick the good stuff for refining or do some sort of preparation so they can recover the metals from the higher yield components themselves.This will always leave some kind of lower yield material that is ripe for sending out, providing you can get paid fairly for what's in there. Again the only way to tell what is in there is to sample the material and thesample has to be representative. This material is generally stream sampled. What that means is they chop,shred, grind or pulverize the material into uniform sized chunks so they can draw off a proportional sizedsample. A stream sampler will sample shredded paper as well as it will sample lead shot, and therein lies itsweakness. It is up to you, the generator of the material, to separate the material into grades of like densityscrap. This is a bit of subjective sorting here but let me explain. The material which has been processed intolike sized pieces is moved along a conveyor and dropped into a chute as a steady stream of parts, the machineis programmed for say a 25% sample, by switching some diverting arms the sample streaming down thechute is diverted into different lines, one line goes to the 75% accumulating pile, and the other to the 25% pile. It is amazing to watch and I have watched it and weighed the fractions coming off and it's pretty dangclose to right on. This procedure will then be repeated on the 25% fraction to produce a fraction which is 61/4% of the original and so on. They continue until you have a representative, manageable sample of theentire lot. This sample is either incinerated, crushed, sifted, and the oversize melted with copper, or it'smelted directly with copper. The benefit is the smaller sample is produced into an assayable sample whileyou watch. Now for the glitch.... if the material is a mixture of say steel relay headers with gold pins, and depopulatedPC boards, the sampling will not be so great. The heavier steel headers fall faster than the light circuits so thestream isn't as dense consistently. Now if you have enough headers to run separately, and enough boards torun separately, the densities will be similar and the sampling is very good. The refiner doesn't know if a baddensity mix will work in his favor or in your favor so he isn't too anxious for sampling of poorly sortedmaterials either. So the sorting is the job of the collector, you, before you ship for stream sampling.The material which you have pre sorted is received at the refiner where they will decide if it will be best togranulate, shred, ball or hammermill this material before stream sampling. Whatever they decide, you will be part of the decision, and with your nod the material will go through the tortuous process. You will know your start weight and verify the finish weight. From looking at the parts they will also let you know if it will needincineration (likely if it was PC boards) or straight melting. Now it's off to the stream sampling machine. I've brought in 20, 55 gallon drums of plated connector scrap and had it reduced to 3, 5 gallon pails. Now you getto do eenie meeney miney mo and pick one for processing. The other two are sealed up in case another sample is needed.