3Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013
This past summer the Mattamy Athletic Centre experienced a break-and-enter and multiple thefts.
PHOTO: CHARLES VANEGAS
MAC hit by summertime thefts
$20,000 worth of electronics and personal belongings were stolen from the Mattamy Athletic Centre
About $20,000 worth of equip-ment was stolen from the Mat-tamy Athletic Centre (MAC) overthe summer. The stolen propertyincludes two projectors, a laptopbelonging to the Ryerson women’shockey team and personal belong-ings from various changerooms.Toronto police media of-cer Wendy Drummond told
that a suspected break-and-enter at the MAC was reportedto police on Monday, August 19,when staff noticed that technicalequipment had been stolen. Policebelieve the thefts occurred betweenAug. 16 and Aug. 18.An administrative staff memberwho works at the MAC and didnot wish to be named said thatthe projectors, which were ceiling-mounted, were stolen from twoseparate meeting rooms: the Blue& Gold Room and The Bunker.The women’s hockey team lap-top, which was used for editinggame footage, was stolen out of acabinet in the coaches’ ofce space.A Ryerson coach who did not wantto be identied said that the cabi-net is usually locked. The door tothe ofce space is also locked afterbusiness hours.“None of the door handles werebroken, none of the windows werebroken, so the person [who stolethe laptop] probably had a key.That’s what [security] told us,” thecoach said.Ryerson has since bought thewomen’s hockey team a new lap-top.Drummond said the case is stillunder investigation and that no ar-rests have been made.Earlier in the summer, on July2, Toronto police received a callabout a theft from a MAC changeroom. An arrest was made on July4. The suspect was charged withtheft, assault of an ofcer while re-sisting arrest and possession.Other sources told
that the thefts over the summerwere not the rst to happen at theMAC.“I know last year there was aproblem with cell phones and iPodsbeing stolen out of player dressingrooms,” a Ryerson employee whowished to remain anonymous said.“If I remember correctly last seasontowards the end we were told notto leave anything in the dressingrooms of value due to the thefts.”Ryerson installed security camer-as in the MAC’s hallways after thethefts. As well, some of the meet-ing rooms and ofce spaces nowrequire both a key and qualiedOneCard to unlock them, whereasbefore, only one of those methodswas needed. The administrative as-sistant, coach and employee all saidthat nothing else has been reportedstolen since August.Ryerson’s manager of securityand emergency services Tanya Fer-
Former Rye Free Press editors speak out
Rift between Free Press masthead and CESAR brought publishing to a halt, former editors say
By Alexandra Bosanac
Opposing ideologies between theRyerson Free Press’ masthead andits publisher caused the paper’s col-lapse last fall, according to a newlyreleased statement from two formereditors.For the rst time since the news-paper folded last October, formereditor-in-chief Nora Loreto andfeatures and opinions editor JamesClark addressed the group’s quar-rels with the Continuing EducationStudents’ Association of Ryerson(CESAR), the union representingpart-time and continuing educationstudents, in a lengthy editorial in an-other campus newspaper.“As the leadership moved right-ward, it increasingly questioned thenewspaper’s relevance to its readersand the wider membership,” it said.“Based on our own history with
The Ryerson Free Press
, we can iden-tify both internal and external chal-lenges that we believe contributedto the newspaper’s mounting prob-lems…By its very nature, progres-sive media challenges mainstreamideas, often attracting criticism andgenerating controversy,” it said.According to Shinae Kim, CE-SAR’s president, the union was un-willing to foot the bill should thepaper nd itself in legal hot waterover its unapologetically left-wingmandate, which tackled a range of social justice issues that extendedwell beyond the boundaries of Ryer-son’s campus.“The nature of student publishingis that it is vulnerable to legal ac-tion,” Kim said in an email to
Over the years,
The Free Press
dealt with numerous threats of le-gal action, which Loreto and Clarkacknowledge became a growingconcern for CESAR following achange in leadership in 2009. Theunion’s fears materialized in 2012after a Toronto lawyer successfullysued CESAR for defamation stem-ming from a 2009 article written byClark.In March 2012, Andrew Monk-house, a lawyer with a practice inToronto, sought $25,000 in dam-ages over a 2009 photo that mis-takenly identied him in a leaeterat an event to protest the CanadianFederation of Students.
The Free Press
issued a correctiononline and in a subsequent issue, butMonkhouse complained that the in-correct version of the story was stillbeing hosted on a digital publishingsite. CESAR eventually reached asettlement with Monkhouse out-of-court, the details of which are beingkept condential.Another point of contention forthe board, Kim added, was thatmasthead was not staffed exclusive-ly by Ryerson students.Kim declined to speculate on thelikelihood of a re-launch, but saidthe board intends to raise the issuewith its members later this year, butnot without a few conditions.The new paper would be requiredto adopt a new mandate whose fo-cus would be on issues directly af-fecting the community of part-timestudents. “If or when
is re-launched, the paper would need pas-sionate Ryerson students with com-mitment to student issues,” she said.min-Poppleton said that studentsand staffs should still feel safe inthe MAC.“There is no reason to believethat the athletes and coaches can’tleave their belongings in their ofc-es or changes rooms due to safetyconcerns,” she wrote in an email.
By Jackie Hongand Angela Hennessy
The Eyeopener Investigates:
Meanwhile, speculation contin-ues to swirl around the sudden de-parture of Loreto’s successor, ClareO’Connor. O’Connor took thereigns as editor-in-chief in July 2012but left suddenly after overseeing theproduction of only two issues.“I know she didn’t have a goodtime with the way CESAR treatedher,” said Loreto. “I can imaginesomething happened but I’ve neverasked what happened so I can’tcomment.”Since
The Free Press’
mandatebarred it from publishing with-out an editor-in-chief presiding,O’Connor’s resignation sparked achain reaction that saw the depar-ture of all the other editors, Loretosaid in an interview.No explanation was offered tocontributors either, according toKelsey Rolfe, a former writer.“They’ve (CESAR) kept it [whatwas happening] under wraps. CE-SAR doesn’t like to share any in-formation. It’s really weird, theykeep everything to themselves,” saidRolfe who began writing for theFree Press in 2011.
The Ryerson Free Press
hasn’t published an issue since September 2012.
PHOTO: NATALIA BALCERZAK