2 Center for American Progress | Fact Sheet: The State of African American Women in the United States
• Chlamydia and gonorrhea inecion raes or Arican American women are 19 imes higher han hose o whie women.
• Arican American women have higher raes o human papillomavirus, or HPV, and cervical cancer, wih moraliy raes double hose o whie women.
• Arican American women represen 65 percen o new AIDS diagnoses among women.
• Arican American women experience uninended pregnancies a hree imes he rae o whie women.
• Black women are our imes more likely o die rom pregnancy-relaed causes, such as embolism and pregnancy-relaed hyperension, han any oher racial group.
• Birh raes or eenage Arican American women rom ages 15 o 19 decreased by 7 percen rom 2011 o 2012.
• Arican American women have he highes raes o premaure birhs and are more likely o have inans wih low or very low birh weighs.
Arican American inans are more han 2.4 imes more likely as whie inans o die in heir ﬁrs year o lie.
• Only 35 percen o Arican American lesbian and bisexual women have had a mam-mogram in he pas wo years, compared o 60 percen o whie lesbian and bisexual women.
Te level o educaional atainmen or Arican American women has risen very slowly and sill sis a a signiﬁcanly lower level han ha o whie women. • Te college graduaion rae o Arican American women or he 2004 cohor was 24.1 percen and has no increased a he same rae as he graduaion raes o whie women, Lainas, or Asian American women.
• Only 21.4 percen o Arican American women had a college degree or higher in 2010, compared o 30 percen o whie women.
• Arican American women held 8.58 percen o bachelor’s degrees held by women in 2012 hough hey consiued 12.7 percen o he emale populaion.
• Only 2 percen o Arican American women are represened in science, echnology, engineering, and mahemaics, or SEM, ﬁelds,
while women in oal make up 24 percen o he SEM workorce.