ACRONYMS AND GLOSSARYACRONYMSBNA
-Bureau of National Affairs
-Department of Labor
-General Accounting Office
-Government Performance and Results Act
-Mine Safety and Health Administration
-Non-Fatal Days Lost
-Office of Inspector General
- Statistical procedure for uncovering a (usually) smaller number of unobservedvariables by studying the covariation among a set of observed variables.
Kernel Density Diagram
- A graph that shows the ordered items from the data plotted on their"density of occurrence." This technique allows for a visual inspection of the distributionof a variable.
Locally Weighted Scatterplot Smoothing
- Technique that allows a researcher to fit a smoothcurve to the data without specifying the shape of the curve beforehand; permitsidentification of trends based on data rather than assumptions.
Partial Regression Plot
- A graph of the independent effect (holding all other variables constant)of an independent variable on a dependent variable in a multiple regression equation.
Pearson's Correlation Coefficient
- Statistic that measures the strength and direction of thelinear correlation between two variables.