Beware of false knowledge;
it is more dangerous than
A. Intersection of Modern
and Traditional Family Law
The State recognizes the sanctity of family life and shall protect and strengthen the family as a basic autonomous social institution. It shall equally protect the life of the mother and the life of the unborn from conception. The natural and primary right and duty of parents in the rearing of the youth for civic efficiency and the development of moral character shall receive the support of the Government.
Sec 14, Art II
The State recognizes the role of women in nation-building and shall ensure the fundamental equality before the law of women
Sec 1 The State recognizes the Filipino family as the foundation of the nation. Accordingly, it shall strengthen its solidarity and actively promote its total development. Sec 2 Marriage, as an inviolable social institution, is the foundation of the family and shall be protected by the State.
(1) The right of spouses to found a family in accordance with their religious convictions and the demands of responsible parenthood;
(2) The right of children to assistance, including proper care and nutrition, and special protection from all forms of neglect, abuse, cruelty, exploitation and other conditions prejudicial to their development;
(4) The right of families or family associations to participate in the planning and implementation of policies and programs that affect them.
Sec 1, Art III
No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without the due process of law, nor shall any person be denied the
equal protection of the laws.
Griswold, Executive Director of the planned Parenthood League of Connecticut and its medical director as accessories for giving married persons information and medical advice on how to prevent conception and, following examination prescribing a contraceptive device or material for the wife\u2019s use.
Purpose of the statute was to discourage extra marital relations and it only prohibits distribution of contraceptives and not manufacture or sale
HELD: Although not stated in the Bill of Rights, it is included in the penumbra of rights afforded to the citizens. It also sweeps unnecessarily broadly and does not prove to be a sufficient method of family planning. It deprived married people the due process of law by including people who are not meant to be included. Statute struck down as unconstitutional.
* What if the couples\u2019 intention for using contraceptive was for medical purposes and family planning?
* Does it mean that people only use contraceptive when they are having extra-marital affairs? And that if they don\u2019t have access to contraceptives, they will no longer engage in extra-marital affair?
Baird was arrested for violation of Massachusetts law by exhibiting contraceptive devices and giving a contraceptive foam to a woman when he ended his lecture at Boston University.
The statute prohibited the sale, lending or giving away of contraceptives unless prescribed by a physician to married people. Its purpose is to discourage fornication (pre-marital sex) and prevent spread of sexually transmitted disease.
However, the \u201cmedical policy\u201d was a mere afterthought, amended after the Griswold decision in 1966
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?