(2) The Government of Iran has a decades-long
track record of violating commitments regarding the
nuclear program of Iran and has used diplomatic ne-
gotiations as a subterfuge to advance its nuclear
(3) Iran remains the world’s foremost state
sponsor of terrorism, having directed, supported,
and financed acts of terrorism against the United
States and its allies that have resulted in the thou-
sands of deaths, including the deaths of United
States citizens and members of the Armed Forces of
the United States.
(4) The Government of Iran and its terrorist
proxies, particularly Lebanese Hezbollah, continue to
provide military and financial support to the regime
of Bashar al-Assad in Syria, aiding that regime in
the mass killing of the people of Syria.
(5) The Government of Iran continues to sow
instability in the Middle East and threaten its neigh-
bors, including allies of the United States, such as
(6) The Government of Iran denies its people
fundamental freedoms, including freedom of the
press, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and
freedom of conscience.