INTRODUCTION TO MICROBIOLOGYHISTORY AND TERMINOLOGY
Ology- study of
- to small to be seen with naked eye
- a very small living thing which can be only seen by microscope
- microbe an organism that is microscopic
- study of microbe
– observed the cell using a microscoe in 1665
Anton van Leeuwenhoek’s
- discovered a microorganism in 1684 using amicroscope of his own design. He is also known as the “Father of microbiology”.
1796 discovered cowpox virus to treat small pox.
introduced fermentation, pasteurization, vaccination andimmunity.
1800, developed antiseptic surgery which included heat-sterilization of instruments and application of phenols to wounds and dressings
1876, provided a critical link between microbes and disease whenhe used a series of postulates to uncover the cause of anthrax.
are still in use today in order to prove the cause of an infectious disease.
Further contributions of Koch
isolated the bacteria that cause cholera and tuberculosis
developed tuberculin, now used in a skin test for TB (originally intended for use as a vaccine against TB)
developed acid-fast staining
identified bacterial endospores
with colleagues, the first to grow cultures on solid media
received noble prize for medicine 1905.
1929 discovered penicillium mold inhibited growth of Staphylococci growing on a petri plate. Penicillin became widely available andknown as the "wonder-drug".Reva Subramaniam SEGI KL