01398Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis, "John Burrows, 1608, James City County,"
Tidewater VirginiaFamilies: A Magazine of History and Genealogy
, (February/March 1999).
[page 207]John BURROWES came to Virginia in October 1608 with the Second Supply, brought by Captain NEWPORT to the unfortunate Jamestown settlers.
Captain NEWPORT also brought to the colony, two women;the first in the colony. Mrs. Thomas FORREST
, the wife of a settler and her maid, Ann BURRAS.
there isnothing to indicate that Ann and John were related, nor is there information that they were not.Robert GAILE had financed the venture of John BURROWS, and when he failed to receive a return uponhis investment he petitioned the Virginia Company in London to require BURROWS to give satisfaction.
John BURROWS remained in the colony and before 1623, married Bridget BUCK, the daughter of theReverend Richard BUCK.
Bridget arrived in the colony with her father and mother to find the colony in desperatestraits. Her father immediately took a position of leadership, and the colony would have relinquished thesettlement without his encouragement and the arrival of a relief ship.Richard BUCK was assigned 750 acres at Archers Hope near Jamestowne. He remained the minister of James Cittie Parish, but evidently died before the census of 1623.
His daughter, Elizabeth appears to haveremained in England
and his daughter, Bermuda had died before she reached Virginia. Bridget was the only childto make the complete voyage with her parents; however, subsequently there were four more children: Mara,Gercian (Gersham), Benoni ("son of my sorrow") and Peleg.
In the muster of February 16, 1623, John BURROWS and Mrs. BURROWS were reported
living at JamesCittye and with the corporacon thereof
. Listed separately under "Living," and thus indicating a separate listing,was Anthony BURROWS, as an adult.
In 1624 John and Bridget BURROWS were living at his plantation, "Burrows Mount" (or Burrows Hill)on the south side of the James River in what became Surry County.
The plantation was in the tenure of JohnSMITH and lay adjacent to land patented by Isabel PERRY, the wife of William PERRY. It was also adjacent toPace
just down river from Flower Dew Hundred and Brandon. Their lives were inextricably entwinedwith Bridget
s family, as Mara BUCK was counted with them in the muster of 1624.
John also had six of hismen planted
with him, along with their arms and provisions.
There was no mention made of any children.[page 208]In 1626 John petitioned the Council for permission to
seat himself upon the neck of land near James Citty[Jamestowne] in order to care for the cattle due Mara BUCK, his ward, daughter of Richard BUCK
. Permissionwas granted and the BURROWS thereafter were seated upon BUCK lands.
John did not long survive, for he wasfatally stabbed "in the belly below the navel", on 1 January 1627/28, by William READE, a fourteen year-oldlaborer, who was convicted of manslaughter, but pled benefit of clergy (he could not be prosecuted). This incidenttook place at the house of Benjamin JACKSON, at Blunt Point in Warwick.
Bridget BURROWS married, secondly, William DAVIS and then, John BROMFIELD. These marriagescan be established through a land grant to John BROMFIELD, 15 December 1656, for 1200 acres at the head of Archer
s Hope Creek in James City County.
John and Bridget BURROWS had no children by January 1624/25, as evidenced by the census of thatyear; they may have had a child later in 1625. By the time of John
s death in 1628, it would seem that they wouldhave had no more than three children. No mention has been found of children of Bridget and her husband, John BURROWS; which does not preclude the possibility of their having had children. There are no early records of James Citty and James CityCounty extant. Any reference to the orphans of John BURROWS, if there were any, would of necessity be foundamong other court or crown records and such information is difficult to extract.There are, however, tantalizing references in the land patent records; Matthew BURROWES was claimedas a headright of William DAVIS in 1639 when he patented land on Archer
s Hope Creek.
In 1656 Matthewwas claimed as a headright of John BROOMFIELD.
Christopher BURROWS patented several parcels of land in Lynhaven Parish in Lower Norfolk County between the years 1636 and 1651.
He claimed as headrights his brother, William and his sister, Ann. This initself does not link Christopher with John and Bridget BURROWS; however, a later entry in the land patentrecords names Benoni as the son of Christopher BURROWS.
The entry describes land patented by Benoni as due
22003813.doc Page 1 printed 12 September 2009