BHEL caters to core sectors of the Indian Economy viz. Power Generation and Transmission,Industry, Transportation, Renewable Energy, Defense, etc. The wide network of BHEL’s 14manufacturing divisions, 4 power sector regional centers, 8 service centers, 15 regional, officesand a large number of Projects Sites spread all over India and abroad enables the Company to promptly serve its customers and provide them suitable products, systems and services-efficiently and at competitive prices.BHEL has already attained ISO 9001 certification and all the units/divisions of BHEL have beenupgraded to the latest ISO-9001; 2000 version quality standard. All the major units/divisions of BHEL have been awarded ISO 14001 certification for environmental management systems andOHSAS 18001 certification for occupational health and safety management systems
Major Miles stones in the history of BHEL
FEB. 1947 –
The planning board felt the need for electrical machinery in India.
MAR. 1948 –
Sir J.C.Ghosh set up heavy electrical generating equipment factory in thestate sector.
– S.A.Gadkary committee reiterates the need for heavy electrical factory.
– Heavy Electrical (Pvt.) LTD, was incorporated which was later renamed asHE (I) LTD.
– Bharat Heavy Electrical Ltd, was established and plants at Haridwar,Hyderabad & Trichy were set up.
– Action committee of public Enterprises recommends integration.
– HE (I) LTD and BHEL were formally merged and the corporate plan of thecompany was prepared.
– BHEL was set up 3
generation plants at
steel tube plant
casting and forging plant
– transformer plant 2